AOTC box-office results after 5 weeks: $271m

Pelzter

At the risk of sounding arrogant, my box-office predictions were, once again, right on the mark. AOTC made $9,2m in its fifth weekend, bringing its total gross to $270,5m, a mere $500.000 below my predictions earlier this week. By comparison, TPM had by the end of its 5th week of release made $328m.

The total gross of Spider-Man is now $382m, and is the 5th biggest domestic box-office succes ever, approx. $50m behind TPM at nr. 4. My guess it that it will not beat TPM, but will probably lay to rest at about $415m, which is far more than I dare to predict for AOTC (!).

My AOTC predictions for next week: weekend-gross: $5,5m; total gross: $281m. Final gross: $310m?

Anyway, it looks like AOTC will be either the 3rd or 4th biggest SW-movie ever at the box-office.

--Pelzter, who wonders, why he cares so much about box-office results. Maybe it's because of the injustice of Titanic's $600m domestic gross...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have to laugh at the fact at how defensive SW fanboys all over the internet are getting about Spiderman beating AOTC at the box office this summer. I guess they can't seem to handle the idea of another movie shooting a few holes through the seemingly impervious walls of SW success (like TPM didn't beat Spidey to that job). Personally I could care less. I am content to see the Prequels just be done already so they can stop tarnishing the image of the Classic Trilogy (classic in more ways than one). I think 20 years from now when people think of SW they'll still be thinking of a CG-less series that featured Luke Skywalker as its hero and Darth Vader as its villian and not CG extravanganza side show the prequels have become. Hey look I won't drag this thing out smashing SW to pieces and I fully realized AOTC would not make as much as TPM all along, but what I'm saying is I just don't care anymore. SW ended for me in 83. I think it did for ALOT of people.

-Rogue Leader who is glad to see a SUPERIOR summer film come out on top for a change.

Anyway, it looks like AOTC will be either the 3rd or 4th biggest SW-movie ever at the box-office.

Well in terms of UN-adjusted gross that will be true. However, in terms of adjusted gross (which is what really matters in relation to the series) it will the LEAST successful SW film of all by far.

think 20 years from now when people think of SW they'll still be thinking of a CG-less series that featured Luke Skywalker as its hero and Darth Vader as its villian and not CG extravanganza side show the prequels have become.

The CG extravanganza is one of the few things that is brilliant about the new trilogy!

Titanic earned its grosses because it is a great film.

there is no injustice there at all.

Joe, who wonders why the 20 to 30 something male crowd dislikes Titanic in such a personal way, as if they have been affronted.

Titanic was a much better film than both TPM and AOTC. Please, I never felt embarrased when i was watching Titanic as I did in both of those Star Wars F..k-ups!