What to buy?

Morlock

I am a huge John Williams fan. I have a lot of his scores, but am missing a number of very key ones, and I'm having problems of which versions to get- so here it goes.

I'm not sure how to work the URL's, so please bare with me.

Jaws- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...4531272-2274563

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...4531272-2274563

CE3K-

or

ET-

or

I wanted to get one or two of the original Star Wars CD's. I've decided on ANH and ESB. If I have to choose one, which one should I choose?

I already have several different version of the empirial march and main theme, so don't calculate them into it.

Also, I wanted to get a TPM ST. My initial aproach would be of course to go for the ultimate edition, but I heard that the editing isn't that good.

I also wanted to get some combination of these please list by your priority- Jurrasic Park, the Patriot, Schindler's list.

Keep in mind- I have the JW greatest hits version plus another version of the main theme from JP, so I also have the main theme from Schindler's list.

This may be a lot to answer, but its hard for me to call myself a fan without owning these basic CD's.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with ESB and the 2nd version of CE3K that you have listed (the Collector's Edition). It's longer with just about everything from the movie, except the Special Edition score from the scene inside the spaceship (which is on Disc 1 of Greatest Hits). ESB is the best score ever written, period, hands down--go for it.

I Also, I wanted to get a TPM ST. My initial aproach would be of course to go for the ultimate edition, but I heard that the editing isn't that good. I also wanted to get some combination of these please list by your priority- Jurrasic Park, the Patriot, Schindler's list. Keep in mind- I have the JW greatest hits version plus another version of the main theme from JP, so I also have the main theme from Schindler's list. This may be a lot to answer, but its hard for me to call myself a fan without owning these basic CD's.

bounce.gif

Oddly enough (having both versions) i've over time started to see why John makes CD's in the way he does. The original release of Phantom menace is a much more enjoyable listening experience than the UE (imo) even though its considerably shorter than the UE. Both are good. But over time i've admired the way he's knitted some selected parts together in it and have found myself listening to that one more. I would highly have to suggest Jurassic park to you first because its increasingly hard to find it seems. Its simply amazing. Schindlers list 2nd. More broody. I dont have The Patriot so i cant recommend. silly.gif

Wooops. I did'nt see you mention CE3K and E.T....yes yes those FIRST :mrgreen:

As for E.T., I would get the 20th anniversary edition because it has all of what the other release has plus three more tracks. I think the music sounds much better on the 20th edition.

~Harry

I always suggest people obtain two versions

The original release with those suites on it ,and the 20th

Sames goes for Close Encounters. The original has nice suites too.

As for E.T., I would get the 20th anniversary edition because it has all of what the other release has plus three more tracks.  I think the music sounds much better on the 20th edition.

~Harry

Don't listen to Harry, he may be the boy who lived, but he doesn't know what he is talking about this time.

TRY to find the original E.T. soundtrack. It may be the shortest, but it has the best arrangements of music. It is beyond great.

And get the 1st Star Wars, begrudgenly known as ANH. It is the first and best Star Wars cd. It is better than the other 4, better even than the Empire Strikes Back.

As for E.T., I would get the 20th anniversary edition because it has all of what the other release has plus three more tracks.  I think the music sounds much better on the 20th edition.

~Harry

Don't listen to Harry, he may be the boy who lived, but he doesn't know what he is talking about this time.

TRY to find the original E.T. soundtrack. It may be the shortest, but it has the best arrangements of music. It is beyond great.

And get the 1st Star Wars, begrudgenly known as ANH. It is the first and best Star Wars cd. It is better than the other 4, better even than the Empire Strikes Back.

Don't listen to JoeinAr, he many be experienced. But he's a grumpy old man who is stuck in the past :twisted: :)

TRY to find the 20th anniversary edition cd. It is the longest and it has a 90s level of sound quality. It is beyond great.

And get Episode 5, also known as TESB. It is the 5th and best Star Wars cd. It is better than the other 4, even than Return of the Jedi.

Morn - :mrgreen:

No, Morn, Empire Strikes Back is the second Star Wars cd, and I am not talking quality.

You are mistaken as usual, I am not stuck in the past, I just remember how good the past is and I know what was good then is better than the good of now. That doesn't mean these are not great times, they are, but unfortunately movies and music are in a lull. They are like the first half of the 1960's when Hollywood was stuck in a rut, well they are stuck in that same rut again. Musically, John is as good as ever, and so are many other composers, but the youth of society is musically inept right now, but that will change, it always does. Talent is relative, and there is relatively little talent right now. There are no movers or shakers, just followers. Problem with than is they have nothing to follow. Its funny the best music makers are those over 35.

And as far as E.T. goes, you really put too much emphasis on the sound quality. Not everyone is an audiophile and sound quality varies from player to player. The original soundtrack to E.T. has arrangements you can't find on the new releases. So regardless of the great sound quality, if the great arrangements are not on the cd, then they don't "SOUND" at all.

No, Morn, Empire Strikes Back is the second Star Wars cd, and I am not talking quality.

Whatever :)

You are mistaken as usual, I am not stuck in the past, I just remember how good the past is and I know what was good then is better than the good of now. That doesn't mean these are not great times, they are, but unfortunately movies and music are in a lull. They are like the first half of the 1960's when Hollywood was stuck in a rut, well they are stuck in that same rut again.

Just a joke :) And I don't know about the 60's, I know some great movies from the early part of it. It was the age of ancient epics :)

There are no movers or shakers, just followers.

Almost everyone is a follower until they get big anyway (ie, everyone has influences when they get big and are able to change the industry with the new things that they do or the new ways they do old things and they will be able to do more new things having more freedom). We might have some true shakers like Shore and Goldenthal I think.

And as far as E.T. goes, you really put too much emphasis on the sound quality.

Well, to be honest I don't even have the original release of ET. But I have heard some samples, and judging from those the difference in sound quality is enough to make a difference in enjoyment.

Well, to be honest I don't even have the original release of ET. But I have heard some samples, and judging from those the difference in sound quality is enough to make a difference in enjoyment.

I only suggest people get both the original 8 track release aswell as the beautiful 20th anniversary one because on the original there are some wonderful suites. Also there are one or two cues of which i (personally) think were a much better performance by the orchestra on the 8 track original. Abandoned and Pursued sounds much more fuller and powerful on the original, and 3 million light years sound much much warmer on it too. I adore both editions and frequently switch between both for listening. But both have something the other CD does not. Thats why i feel everyone should obtain both if possible. The 20th really does have wonderful sound quality i agree. Its crystal clear and shimmering. But as far as fuller and meatier performances go on some tracks, the original is superior at times. Therefore, everyone must get both editions...LOL. They are both great.

Joe is correct, if you can find the original, get that one too. But if you choice is only between the 96 E.T. release and the 02 E.T. 20th release, then you should get the 02 E.T. 20th release.

~Harry, who loves E.T.

TRY to find the original E.T. soundtrack.  It may be the shortest, but it has the best arrangements of music.  It is beyond great.

I have both the original and the 20th anniversary and agree with Joe and Harry. Try for the original first and then get the 20th anniversary. :)

Isn't the 20th Anniversary cd going to be included with the Collector's Edition DVD? If so, and if you plan to buy the DVD, I'd wait to buy them as a package. :?:

Thanks for the link, Harry. I first heard of this on Entertainment Tonight a couple of weeks ago. It was a good thing, because the 20th Anniv. CD finally popped up in the local cd stores some days later and I would've bought it on the spot. Now I think I'll wait and buy this package.

You're welcome!

Hey Ricard!!! You should post this link on the main page too along with the link to the Collector's Edition you already have!

~Harry

I just checked out amazon.  If you purchase the "E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial Ultimate Gift Boxed Set", you will get three dics plus a soundtrack.

Harry, I followed the link but don't see anything about the Soundtrack being included. I see that there are 3 discs, but it metions nothing (that I can see) about the soundtrack. Where do you see it?

Thanks,

BigJohn

I just checked out amazon.  If you purchase the "E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial Ultimate Gift Boxed Set", you will get three dics plus a soundtrack.

Harry, I followed the link but don't see anything about the Soundtrack being included. I see that there are 3 discs, but it metions nothing (that I can see) about the soundtrack. Where do you see it?

Thanks,

BigJohn

I was gonna say the same thing- No mention of the Sound Track.

I don't know what happened, because when Harry posted the link yesterday, Amazon did have the information posted and today it's not there, but essentially this is it:

Includes 2-Disc set plus the original 1982 version of the film on a third disc, the newly remastered CD soundtrack, a complete script and an exclusive limited edition senitype.

Features:

DVD, Widescreen, Dolby Digital (5.1), Subtitled, Spanish, 3 Discs, CD Soundtrack

-E.T. Archives

-A new introduction to the DVD by Steven Spielberg

-Cast and Crew Reunite to Discuss Their Experiences

-Conceptual Stills

-DVD-ROM Content: More Never-Before-Seen Footage, Interviews with Cast and Crew at 2002 E.T. Premiere, 1982 On-Set Interviews and More!

-Explore the Solar System and Universe Guided by E.T.

-Great Games, Activities and More!

-Includes three discs, re-mastered CD soundtrack, original screenplay & collectible senitype

-John Williams Conducts the Orchestra: A Thrilling Command Performance as he Conducts 100-Piece Orchestra at the 2002 Premiere (this refers to the Overture)

-Original Advertising Materials on Making the Film

-Production Photos and Premiere Footage

-The Evolution and Creation of E.T.

Another rumor is that an alternate audio channel allows you the option of watching the special edition with either the original soundtrack or the live performance.

Thank you, AHerrera83. I don't know what happened, but that info was there, and now it's not! The info for the other releases is there, but not this one.

~Harry, puzzled