This page will be updated as new details of John Williams’ score for the film are revealed.
Last update: Director James Mangold asked JW for “big fat album” for Indy 5 with “as many cues as John can bear,” also describes score & sound mix (February 25, 2023)
INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY (2023)
Music Composed and Conducted by John Williams
June 2023 (Original Soundtrack Album) – June 28-30, 2023 (Film)
Label: Disney Records
- “[John Williams] has written and conducted 2 hours of brilliant music, at least 60+ cues. Maybe there are one or two small pieces left behind but it’s a huge score and 99% in the film.” (James Mangold) – Discussion
- “It’s certainly got to be an hour and a half of music, maybe more,” Williams estimates. “But I’m quite happy with it. There’s a lot of new material. The old material works very well as a touchstone of memory, but I had great fun, and I have a theme that I’ve written for Phoebe Waller-Bridge [Helena’s Theme] (John Williams) – Discussion
- “The best part of it for me is the writing and the interplay of dialogue between Harrison and Phoebe, like the old-style Hepburn-and-Tracy kind of bickering. It’s witty and bright and snappy, like a duet that goes on for two hours.” (John Williams)
- The Indiana Jones scores, Williams notes, “are unified by Indy’s theme, and the general style of the film, which is in my mind a kind of action-comedy, because you never take the action seriously. It’s certainly a swashbuckling affair from beginning to end, fashioned more like movies of the ’30s and ’40s where the orchestra is racing along with the action, which you wouldn’t do in contemporary films very much.” (John Williams)
- “It’s almost 2 hours of glorious JW score — heroic, bombastic, sly, majestic, sinister, romantic & screwball!” (James Mangold) – Discussion
- John Williams’ music is “front and center in the film mix” (James Mangold)
- “I’ve impressed on the great sweet maestro & his team the wish for release of a big fat album w/ as many cues as John can bear, but ultimately it is up to him!” (James Mangold) – Discussion
- On June, 2016, Steven Spielberg announced that Williams would return for the fifth Indiana Jones film.
- On June 9, 2021, Lucasfilm officially confirmed via its social media platforms that John Williams would be the composer of the score.
- Williams read the script early in 2021, and started writing the score in October of that year.
- Recording sessions started on June 28, 2022 and ended on February 10, 2023 at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. – Discussion
- On Friday, February 10, John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter recorded an arrangement for violin and orchestra of Helena’s Theme – Discussion
- John Williams premiered Helena’s Theme at the Maestro of the Movies concert at the Hollywood Bowl (September 2-4, 2022, World Premiere), and at the Filarmonica della Scala, Milan (December 12, 2022, European Premiere).
- Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter premiered the new arrangement for violin and orchestra in San Francisco on September 14, 2023. – Discussion
VIDEOS (LIVE PERFORMANCES)
September 2, 2022 – Hollywood Bowl (World Premiere)
More videos from the performances of Helena’s Theme at the Hollywood Bowl (Sept. 2-4, 2022)
December 12, 2022 – Milan (European Premiere)
Helena’s Theme for Violin and Orchestra
February 14, 2023 – San Francisco (World Premiere of violin arrangement)
VIDEOS (OFFICIAL TRAILERS)
Trailer #2 – TV Spot (music could be from the new score) – Discussion
Trailer #1 (Does NOT include music arranged and/or conducted by John Williams) – Discussion