Williams' music at sporting events

IrishCal24

What John William's pieces (or even those of other composers) have any of you heard played at sporting events? I hear the Imperial March and Star Wars main titles used a bit during football games (mainly college), and ice hockey games, but not not much else.

I ask because I've been approached to be the music coordinator for a new ice hockey team in my area. I've done this before for a minor-pro team and I've used the pieces I mentioned above, as well as concluding games with The Throne Room and End Credits, as way of injecting my own personal tastes into the "popular" crap I have to play. I'm very close to getting this new team's management convinced to do opening night introductions to the Superman main titles and I want to use the Jaws theme for high-pressure situations. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I go back to my hometown for the Thanksgiving Day game the high school band always strikes up the Imperial March at the point we are completely smearing the other team. It is quite effective, a way of saying "Nyah nyah nyah nyah-nyaaah nyah" -- musically speaking, of course. :sleepy:

A couple of years ago my local independent baseball team played Superman when a home player hit a homer.

I've heard on TV the Colorado Avalanche (NHL) play the Star Wars main theme after they win a game. They looped it over and over for something like 10 minutes the last time they won the Stanley Cup!

I've also heard the Imperial March occasionally in baseball, I think Jay Buhner used it for his "walk-up" music back when he played.

the University of Florida Gator's Marching band uses the Jaws theme alot.

My University of Arkansas Razorback Marching Band, used the Jaws theme when the Razorback defense was on the field. the play the opening to the planet Krypton quite frequently.

I often hear Star Wars main theme, Jaws, Superman, Imperial march, Far and Away, the 84 Olympic theme, all played at football events. During basketball games its not uncommon for a band to play the Superman theme. Also you can hear less frequently the opening notes to Close Encounters, some 1941, and JP.

Of course if you don't watch sporting events or attend them you would never hear them played, right Luke, right Morn? LOL

all of these sound like great ideas ESPECIALLY if your team wins alot. I mean face it JW music is triumphant. But coming from the dark side. What if your team sucks? What then??? Just because you suck, you have to put up with hip hop???? What about AOTC? :sleepy:

This is coming from a person who's HS basketball team was 0-72 when I graduated. Then they went ANOTHER whole year without winning. They have only won 1 or 2 games since i was a freshman in HS. And that was 10 years ago.

And in college, the band didn't play for the soccer team.

And in college, the band didn't play for the soccer team.

I don't know about Maine, Ren, other than we beat the crap out of them in basketball this past year, but in the south the bands only play for sports like Football and basketball, soccer doesn't draw enough attention to merit them playing. Probably has something to do with the fact most people in the south would never show there faces at a soccer game. Baseball gets organ music.

In the south college football is revered like soccer or "football" is internationally. Its almost a religion, and in Alabama it is.

Here is the Florida Marching band playing Jaws.

well we don't have many football teams in Maine and yes Bball isn't TOO big but it's the big kid on the block here. I mean every school in Maine shuts down for a week for Basketball Tournaments. It doesn't say much for us. I'm more of a soccer/golfing girl myself. That must be why I never really heard JW at my games. LOL

And P. S. for the record here in maine MARCHING BAND SUCKS! I can't believe Maine. They went from scoring and placing Marching Teams to just giving them feel good scores so everyone wins.

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO????

As I was channel skipping the other day, I heard the strains of something *very* familiar during a football game. William's 'Jurassic Park'! I expected a Brachiosaur to stomp out onto the field at any second.

When I was at Yankee stadioum they used The Imperial March and Throne room theme to introduce the teams. From what I've heard, they use Williams' tunes very often at the stadiuom, at times using the raider's theme.

When France won the world cup in 98, The Star Wars theme was playing.

Let's see if I can remember some JW at sporting events:

HS we did Cantina Band, Summon the Heroes, Olympic Spirit, Olympic Fanfare and Theme as halftime shows and Olympic Spirit as the graduation recessional (Pomp and Circumstance was the processional, obviously!).

In college (#1) we didn't play ANY JW music! :wow:

In college (#2) we didn't play any JW, and have been barred from playing The Throne Room in marching band or as graduation music by our band director, even though the Drum Major wants to do it!

At the stadium where I worked, the only JW music you heard was Jaws.

I want to use the Jaws theme for high-pressure situations. Any other suggestions?

i read somewhere,maybe a post here,that athelete HATE when the Jaws theme is played in high pressure situation.

K.M.

i read somewhere,maybe a post here,that athelete HATE when the Jaws theme is played in high pressure situation.

Yeah that was me, in a similar thread, a few months and a couple of boards ago. I've used it before, just before face-offs in the visiting team's end while the home-team was on power play, but one team got ticked off. That was the whole point. Most of the time the players ignore the music and heckling fans though, especially goalies, but I must've found a hyper-sensitive bunch. The goaltender actually complained to the ref, who had an off-ice official ask me not to play it again. :roll:

I played it a couple of times at other games before and after that without incident, so I'll likely use it again. I do warn the home team prior to the game, so they don't have a problem with it.