Celesta part transcription from Home Alone theme!

filmmusic

I always loved the celesta part in Home Alone theme and I was wondering how it would be in sheet music. here's a trancription I made after a lot of effort using a tempo slowing software. Does anyone have another version? I also have posted a topic in the trading area about looking for the Home Alone piano folio to see eventually if this is it!

homealonethemecelestavd0.th.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevertheless, that's not the Home Alone theme, but the villains' motif.

I don't think so. The villains' theme is clearly the one that is heard at 2.05 of track 7 of home alone soundtrack and elsewhere. And I wouldn't say this celesta part is a theme but it's supportive to the melody that the strings hold: D-F-D-F-D

I always loved the celesta part in Home Alone theme and I was wondering how it would be in sheet music. here's a trancription I made after a lot of effort using a tempo slowing software. Does anyone have another version? I also have posted a topic in the trading area about looking for the Home Alone piano folio to see eventually if this is it!

homealonethemecelestavd0.th.jpg

I don't have the Home Alone OST but I got the "Home Alone - Somewhere In My Memory" from Greatest Hits 1969-1999 [Disc 2] featuring that celesta part at the beginning.

I just quickly print that out and and had a go playing it but I think it in a different key.

Yeah, it's pretty accurate. Nevertheless, that's not the Home Alone theme, but the villains' motif.

Well, if there's one person who could make a ferocious villian theme using only a celeste, it's John freakin Williams!

I don't think so. The villains' theme is clearly the one that is heard at 2.05 of track 7 of home alone soundtrack and elsewhere. And I wouldn't say this celesta part is a theme but it's supportive to the melody that the strings hold: D-F-D-F-D

This is the "House's Theme"!!! ;)

why does the second note right hand become a f and there is this wierd crossing? wouldn't the second note RH also be an a? then the left hand second note is a f?

This is the "House's Theme"!!! ;)

Yes, it is. It's the music that starts after the "Somewhere in My Memory" rendition.

I've always heard the theme as being A A A Bb A, not A F A Bb A. You have the 2nd A of each group in the accompaniment instead of the melody. Anyway, after the section you got to we get the freaky Bb minor arpeggio going into the V-i cadence. Then we go to the second subject. It's a great theme!

why does the second note right hand become a f and there is this wierd crossing? wouldn't the second note RH also be an a? then the left hand second note is a f?
I've always heard the theme as being A A A Bb A, not A F A Bb A. You have the 2nd A of each group in the accompaniment instead of the melody.

Play it in the way you say (with 3 A in a row in the right hand) and hear the difference. In keyboard instruments such as celesta (or piano) it doesn't sound nice.It's all in the phrasing.

It's the same like the cavalry finale from Rossini's William Tell Overture. it's not the same playing GGG GGG GGCDE with the same finger in G all the way and playing it 321 321 changing finger positions . The second is a lot better and has the sound it should have.

A good keyboard player should be able to phrase it correctly without having to switch hands though. I would certainly write it with all As in the upper voice. It's not very fast so it makes the most sense.

Here's how I hear it. It's a quick attempt so not 100% accurate. Also I don't know how to make a nice digital image of it so I had to take a photo of my screen! Hope you can read it ok.

IMG_1167.jpg

As I've said I used a tempo slowing software that reduces the tempo down to 10% So I'm certain for bars 2, 4, 6 of my transcription. I also used the version heard in Home Alone 2 which was with 2 flutes and it made it easier to figure out the notes. As for bars 1, 3, 5, (besides that I hear it this way in the slowed down tempo) I have found a midi file by Frank Lehman and when I open it with sibelius it's transcribed the same : A F A Bb A-A F A Bb A. Also the left hand (in my version) goes with the main melody of the tremoli violins:

D A D F- D A D F- D

(violins melody in bold)