What samples Newman uses in "American Beauty" score?

filmmusic

Does anyone know what music samples did Newman use in "American beauty" and where can I find them(or something similar to them)? (In the score cd there are those accompanying the melancholic piano theme in "mental boy" and "Angela undress)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't he fasion his own samples?

I don't think this necessarily means anything, but he endorsed the EastWest Symphonic Orchesra samples.

"I compose music for feature films. I come from a classical background and my music is primarily for the orchestra with additional electronic elements when appropriate. When I compose, I have a full orchestra loaded into samplers. The cost of it really isn't an issue for me, because when I need to do the orchestral mock-ups I need to have the best sounding, most expressive orchestral instruments I can find. The big issue I have had with orchestral sample libraries in the past has been the way they were recorded. Most of them were close mic'ed and not in a proper environment for an orchestra. No matter how much reverb you put on those recordings, they never sound good. The EWQLSO recordings are excellent and sound the way a real orchestra sounds in a hall or sound stage. The sounds are inspiring to play because they sound so good. Simply put: EWQLSO is now the best sounding orchestral library on the market!" - DAVID NEWMAN.

Thomas Newman wrote the soundtrack to American Beauty! :)

I feel like a total jackass. Well. moving on. Wasn't there a lot of fake Marimba in that score?

I wouldn't know, but from what I've heard and talked about with others, I've always assumed that he only uses synths as background/ambience in the final product, as he plays piano himself and his liner notes often credit solo performers (don't have the AB CD with me). Plus those marimbas just sound so damn real :)

I'm not talking about the marimbas, but for the ambient sounds he uses as background to his piano themes in the specific tracks I mention in my first post! It's something like glass strings I guess?