Lion King Broadway Question

indy4

I am a huge fan of Zimmer's Lion King, it's my favorite Zimmer score. I've never seen the play. This is the broadway version's soundtrack:

lionkingbroadway.jpg

It says that it contains additional music by Zimmer...is this true? Is it worth getting? Is there unreleased music from LK and/or new material written for the play that is worth getting? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had it for years now and it's definitely worth getting. I'm not really sure about the additional material, but the performances are really inspired and enthusiastic. Go buy it! :lol:

The additional music by Zimmer is just some excerpts from his score - some of which have lyrics to them.

Is it music from LK that was unreleased on the OST?

I've had it for years now and it's definitely worth getting. I'm not really sure about the additional material, but the performances are really inspired and enthusiastic. Go buy it! :P

Perhaps I shall, I've seen it used at a CD shop for very cheap.

I don't think so, although I'm not sure. May I stress Zimmer's music has lyrics

to it?

There's also a cheap-ass rendition of the stampede music without lyrics, though.

I don't think so, although I'm not sure. May I stress Zimmer's music has lyrics

to it?

:P

Hmmm, perhaps I'll reconsider buying this. I've never really been that into the songs of the LK, just the score, so a better performance of the songs doesn't really tempt me, and since there's no new score...

There is new material. Mark Mancina, Jay Rifkin, Lebo M, and Hans Zimmer wrote new music for the play.

Is it similiar to the music heard on the OST? Meaning, is it as good?

I find them very enjoyable. Very vocally supported and structured. Grassland Chant, for example, sounds like pure African-vocal driven Hans Zimmer.

Other cues by Zimmer sound very Zimmer, meaning there is a lot of guitar for some reason. This CD is on iTunes, listen to the samples to take a listen to what's on there.

Overall it sounds a lot like the OST, specifically the score tracks and not the songs. I don't think it's entirely new material rather than new mixes and alternates of what was in the original film.