Is "Once Around" by James Horner worth purchasing?

odnurega1

I do like James Horner (as much as I bash on him), and I am tempted to buy this score. Has anyone heard it? Unfortunately, I have not, and I have not seen the film, either. What do you think? Does anyone own it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno,i looked up the movie and it doesn't inspire me as something that would have a great score.Also I've never heard of it so it can't be a classic Horner score

Here's the only review on Amazon:

"James Horner has written some of the most magical,beautiful and moving scores that I have ever heard. Once Around is not one of them. Firstly, there are only 4 cues of his music on this cd, running less than 20 minutes. Much of this is made up of the big band sound that listeners of Horner's Cocoon:The Return might find familiar. However there are some restrained, melancholy tracks to be found particularly the final track "A passage of time". James Horner is a musical genius and in my opinion, is one of the finest composers of film music in the world. He is capable of much better than this and has proven it with Legends Of The Fall, Titanic, Apollo 13, Glory and many more. Check those scores out instead and buy Once Around only if you are a die hard Horner fan (like me!!)."

That reviewer has now been shot by the Hitch mafia. Buy it. NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

It's another Horner intimate, subtle, beautiful score... but not among his greatest efforts in that genre. And as pointed out by the amazon review, the Horner tracks in the CD don't sum up even 20 minutes... you'll be buying only some nice end credits and a few more tracks that are basically the same.

Go for it only if you're a completist or like his little drama scores.

I have it, although I admit I forgot about it until just now. Last played in January 2007. It isn't bad, but it isn't great either. There are two jazzy tracks by Horner, and there is also a waltz. The rest is slower emotional music. I'm just referring to Horner's music.