Dracula- the original linernotes

Director John Badham wrote the linernotes for the original LP release of the Dracula score in 1997.

The later Varase re-release on CD incorporated those notes in their CD design, but made the text so small it was barely, or simple NOT readable.

For those who only have the CD, here is what John Badman had to say about this score.

On a morning in late March of 79 John Williams appeared at my house in California to view the first cut Of Dracula. Though he had been commissioned almost a year previously to compose the score this was his first opportunity to see the film.

As we were about to begin he confessed he had never seen a vampire film of any sort before. Somehow he had managed to stumble upon full adulthood without having been exposed to the veritable gauntlet of Dracula films produced in the last fifty years. Not a foot. Not a frame. Not a sprocket hole Incredible!

"Delighted to hear it:' was my reply, and we began the film. How fortunate to have the pre-eminent film composer of the day arrive with no advance notions of the kind of ketchup and thunder music that prevails in the horror film genre.

When the film was over, he turned and said."Great. Now, can I see it again?" And we ran it again. and Again. Every morning in fact for a week the screams of Dracula's victims resounded through the Canyons as John immersed himself in the textures and ambiences of the film.

Almost no conversation took place. Occasionally after three days he would say things like, I think I'll play during this part, is that alright?" Well of course it's alright.

But what kind of music It is nearly impossible to describe music verbally. No one can read any known account of any piece of music and have more than a vague idea of what the music sounds like. lmagine the muddled and obfuscated conversation between us as John tried to get a fix on what 1 wanted for the film.

So I had to wait weeks while John worked over his piano. Reams of puzzling little notes on paper began to emerge daily on a trip to the orchestrator and thence to the copyist. Finally seeing a desperate director hovering at his door John took pity and played the haunting Dracula love theme he had composed.

There I could hear the piano's imitation of what would eventually be a fully orchestrated, fully glorious piece of

music When the London Symphony Orchestra got its collective teeth on the music in May they played a score that is wildly romantic shamelessly so. The nineteenth century romantics could all say they had a descendant living late in the 20th Century. Operatic in scale it surrounds and elevates this often told tale of the Vampire King who takes a Queen for himself,

Puccini, Verdi Berlioz all blew it. What a great subject for an opera. The emotion, the passion the terror all here to support and enhance a most unusual portrayal of Dracula by Frank Langella A Byronic Dracula. A Dracula with an electric presence. The legends say the Devil gave Dracula eternal life in exchange for a steady re-routing of souls to Hell. Now the Devil is clever and knew that old saying about catching more flies with honey than vinegar. Did he pick an ugly man? An evil looking one? One with fangs? A debauched one? Never! Only the best for the Devil. He picked a handsome warrior, a charismatic leader, the conqueror of the Turks in the 15th Century. In short, one that knew how to get girls

Film music and the films they go with often cannot stand alone. They are weakly interdependent. This is never true of John's score which stands on its own as do all his scores. The proof of course, is how frequently they are played by symphony orchestras around the world. This score most certainly will join his music for Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws, and many others as another great example of the film composer's ability to stand with dignity and stature in the world of serious music.

-JOHN BADHAM

Stefancos- who finally recieved the LP, and will frame it and hang it on the wall of his new house. :P

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefancos- who finally recieved the LP, and will frame it and hang it on the wall of his new house.  :mrgreen:

Nerd alert!

-ROSS, who read that many times from the tiny little CD notes. It's so good to be from Krypton.