Williams' Russian and German themes

Joe Brausam

So, I was just recently comparing these things...

Williams' German motifs from Raiders and Crusade vs. Goldsmith's German March from Patton.

There're all enjoyable to me. The one in Raiders (Airplan Fight, Desert Chase) definately has an "evil" undertone to it and thus work very well as a villain theme. The one in Crusade, while comical, does have a villainous feel to it as well. I have to say though that I enjoy the German March from Patton the most. Its sinister tone is, to me, a brilliant counter to the unabashed heroic and patriotic feel of Patton's march. I also believe that it is more melodically interesting than Williams' German motifs, although probably becuase it is more developed.

Williams' Russian motif from KOTCS vs. Courage's from Superman 4.

Alexander Courage wrote a sort of Russian March for S4 that was extremely militaristic and intense. It's a fun theme to listen to, but I really can't comment on how it functions in the film, being that I haven't seen it in many years. Williams' motif for KOTCS - I don't think I need to say anything about it, I'm sure we're all pretty familiar with it at this point! Do I have a preference between the two themes? No, but if I had to choose I'd say Williams', it works well for what it was written for.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen that movie in a long time, so I couldn't remember if it was in the film or not. Figures that it wasn't, though, considering how hacked up the film was!