Tchaikovsky's 4th now LIVE from New York on PBS

Foxfan

One of my favorite "non-film" symphonies next to Dvorak's 9th.

First movement right now, seems OK, but the brass seems brass seems weak "sputtery" (not sure what the exact description would be).

Can't wait for the 4th movement (hopefully they can play the ending without slowing down).

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Iish. Don't want to sound picky, but anyone hear that horrible shreiky false note from the trumpets right in the last reprise of the "fate" theme near the end of the 4th movement?

I think I remember some people on this board also complain about the brass section during Williams' concert there last year.

Yeah. I've started to really like Dvorak's 5th also.

I'm looking to broaden my horizons though. Any hidden symphonic gems that sound big, folksy and melodic like the two symphonies I mentioned?

Bruckner is huge, folksy and melodic, and my favourite composer. Good starting points are the 4th followed by the 7th. Many recordings suck. For the 4th, the Berlin/Günter Wand and Berlin/Karajan recordings are great, and also Celibidache's, once you get used to his slow tempos (the coda on this CD has to be the best bit of music ever recorded). The best 7th is Celibidache's, again veery slow, but nothing else is so right for this work.