"Chase Through Coruscant" Is A Kick Ass Cue!: Observations Of John Williams' Evolving Action Music

indy4

I'm not sure about this rhythm/melody dichotomy. I think "The Battle of Hoth" proves you can have your cake and eat it, too.

I'm not saying that melody and rhythm (so that's how you spell it) are mutually exclusive, or even that John Williams uses them like they're mutually exclusive. I'm just saying that JW seems to have focused on rhythm more than he has melody in the years of late, and vice versa in his older days. "Battle of Hoth" and also "A Whirl Through Academe" are both examples of JW placing an equal amount of thought on rhythm and melody, I think. But they are the exceptions.

I'd like to reiterate, just for clarity's sake: I hope that my post did not suggest that I feel that JW has abandoned melody in his new stuff and rhythm in his old. There are tons of neat melodic things going on in "Chase Through Coruscant," just as there are tons of neat rhythmic things going on in "Asteroid Field." He just seems to have shifted his priority levels as he's gotten older, caring more about rhythm than melody.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic