A few questions regarding cue timing

Datameister

Hi there, folks! Got a few questions. I'm looking at a conductor's score for a film cue and seeing some notations that ostensibly mark the timing of sync points. That part's pretty self-explanatory. But some of the things I'm seeing are not so intuitive, and I was hoping someone with knowledge about the film scoring process could help. =)

Here are two snippets that contain my sources of confusion:

cuequestions.gif

1. 1:15 5 means 1 minute and 15.5 seconds, right? And :16 65 (not in this image) would mean 16.65 seconds, right?

2. What does the arrow between the two times indicate? There are many instances in which there is no such arrow between adjacent times on the same page, but there are also numerous instances with the arrow, and I can't figure out what the difference is.

3. In the red inset, what does the + symbol mean?

Thanks in advance! Not the most exciting thread topic, I know, but I'd appreciate some insight if you've got it. :blink:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, these are timing indications - the conductor is free-timing the cue (at least this section of it), with the aid of a sweeping second-hand clock and streamers and punches.

1. That's correct.

2. In my experience, the arrow indicates some kind of tempo gradation - i.e. ritard, accelerando - between two tempi. The arrow is just a way of emphasizing the metronomic increase or decrease from one tempo to the next, so that the conductor is sure to hit the new tempo at the right time.

3. I have never seen nor used a the plus symbol, so the best I can do is provide an educated guess... which would be that the 00:45 mark is an approximation or suggestion. For instance, in slower or aleatoric cues, the downbeat could hit at 00:44, 00:45 or 00:46 and still be fine for the following measures (as long as the conductor is sure to compensate and hit whatever 'solid' future downbeats at the right time). Sort of like a 'signpost' along the way, to give the conductor a heads up as to where s/he is and where s/he needs to be at that moment. I hope that makes sense!

Where did you get your hands on that score?

Have you looked at our trading board? There are tons of people with tons of PDF scores for trade.

Thank you so much, OrchDork! If anyone else wants to confirm this or offer different viewpoints, that'd be awesome, but what you're saying makes sense.

And Williamsfan301, Mr. LeBlanc is correct. =) This is the score to "Journey to the Island," Maglorfin - or, to be more accurate, the first of three cues that constitute "Journey to the Island."

Y'know, I'll bet you're right. Looking over the rest of the score, the major sync points all seem to be marked with the arrow. It's gotta be an indication for a streamer, and then the other marks are just for reference.

Thank you so much, OrchDork! If anyone else wants to confirm this or offer different viewpoints, that'd be awesome, but what you're saying makes sense.

And Williamsfan301, Mr. LeBlanc is correct. =) This is the score to "Journey to the Island," Maglorfin - or, to be more accurate, the first of three cues that constitute "Journey to the Island."

OH SWEET!!!!

Pretty much. :lol: I'm slowly but surely going through and inputting the entire cue into Finale to produce a quasi-professional-looking engraving, since the original is handwritten.

Pretty much. :lol: I'm slowly but surely going through and inputting the entire cue into Finale to produce a quasi-professional-looking engraving, since the original is handwritten.

Wonderful! Well, since I helped you out with that streamer information, perhaps you'd share the fruits of your labour? :P