Silva Screen's Indiana Jones Trilogy Music

I'd like to thank JWfan.net for posting the 5 sound clips from Silva Screens upcoming Indy Trilogy CD. I'd like to say I own a few of the Prague Phil's recordings under Nic Raines baton. This orchestra CAN play well, but in the case of Williams action cues for the Indy triology it makes a mockery of it. It really scares me that other orchestra's cannot succesfully bring life to Williams action cues. They play staccato notes long and totally destroy the rhythmic integrity of the cues. I'd hate for this to be people's introduction to some of Williams best work. I really fear that we'll never hear great live performances many years from now under other orchestras like this. I do credit the Prague Phil for attempting this, but please do not record any more action cues if you can't get them right. What this orchestra and conductor do have is a lot of emotion. That is shown very well in Marion's theme. I'd also like to note their 2 disc Alien Invasion is a wonderful recording except for the imperial march. They just can't seem to get the Williams right, but for some reason they play Independence Day better than the original recording. The same goes for their medly from Danny Elfman's original Batman, it sucks, once again the kickass rhtym at the end sounds like a middle school concert band, it's pathetic. I really don't get it. I'd love someone else's take on this. In the meantime folks DON'T BUY THIS CD resist being a cheapskate and BUY THE ORIGINAL RECORDINGS You can get INDY 3 for $10 bucks new!! and Temple of doom is worth $30 bucks if you can find it. I'm sorry for the negativity of this, but this is the damn truth please spread the word.

Thanks,

One Very loyal John Williams fan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed this on their rendition of Hedwig's Theme on The Fantasy Album. The Nimbus 2000 theme in the middle and the thrilling finale of the piece were butchered compared to JW's version. Like you said, they play it tenuto instead of staccato, which makes it 150% less exciting!!! It made me mad.

Ray Barnsbury

"Guest" put it in better thecnical terms than I could.The worrysome thing is,without Williams own original recorings,nobody would get his music remotly right.

K.M.