Presumed Innocent Synth

A24

CP70 is a piano...acoustic. It looks like a baby grand. It sounds just like a piano except it has virtually no bottom end. Very popular in the eighties as you could tour with it. Peter Gabriel loved his.

Yamaha TX8 is eight DX7's in a rack !!!...but no keyboard. One of the many criticisms of DX7's where they sounded thin....so eight should do nicely...nuts...sounded like eight thin synths instead of one !

t

is that herrmann's psycho motif ?

No, the PSYCHO motif is F-Eb-D whereas this is Bb-Db-E (a diminished chord), though it does contain an 014 with E-G-Eb.

it does sound like a moog....and yes thats a flanger.....

Any idea with model? i.e. Memorymoog, Polymoog, Minimoog, Modular etc. How many oscillators - are they detuned? Saw waves and sine below (like a subbass)? LP filter cutoff? Resonance?

Very similar sound here at 2:52, though in this case it's played by an Arp 2600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CLDHWPFjl0

ahh....fooled....

synth sounds are so close when its jsut a buzz like that...anyone of those machines could have done it TBH....

But what about the actual synthesis behind it? How many oscillators? 1, 2, 3, 6, 9? Detuning (guess there must be some since it isn't a thin sound)? Lopass filter settings? How much resonance is there? Any regeneration/feedback?

well it's a fat sound so almost certainly a square wave. If its an ARP 2600 it only has three oscillators. If i was making a drone like this id have a sine wave an octave below the root. Then either two square waves at pitch ( slightly detuned to get the fatness ) or one at pitch and one a fifth above. then the filter would be very closed. no resonance as that would mess with the fatness....then a bit of phasing ( sounds like a chorus effect here....so that's easily done...35ms delay with a bit of mod at around 7hz ) As it's a square wave i would modulate the pulse width too...though on an ARP you would lose an oscillator. On my synth I have 20 so i'd be fine !

t

I love your Moog Modular. Got a real Peter Baumann circa late 70s sound going - very TG sequence.

So the main difference between the ROTJ and OMEN 3 examples is that ROTJ is going thru a flanger pedal and THE OMEN 3 a chorus pedal?

Love peter Baumann. Got a bit close here:

Still.

as to the sounds the only real difference I can hear is the effect added. Although the ARP2600 filter was different. Although moog had to take them to court to stop using their design. So if it was an early 2600 it would be very similar indeed. Oscillators weren't as fat though.

PM an address and I'll send you the new album......

t

sounds kinda murky in the star wars clip. I would guess a pedal. John williams does all this stuff live right,Keyboard players in the room with the orchestra ? So the discussion is wether you mic em up like the orchestra...in which case small pa or amp with a close mic.....keep the level pretty low so it doesn't hiss and end up all over the room mic's.....or take a DI and plug it directly into the board so it comes up on a channel in the cabin ( control room as we brits say ) and you can mess with it there.

If it was Jerry...he wanted everything to sound good , as close to the player as poss....so the vibe was that they heard exactly what the final sound was going be. I don't know about JW but TBH as they came up together through the ranks i'd be surprised if he was any different .

In that case it would probably be a pedal. If it was a minimoog ( not really a stretch for the Star Wars sound ) it would come straight out of the machine..probally into one of these puppies :

of course they could stretch to one of these if Mr Lucas was feeling generous :

either would do the trick.It sounds like there is quite a lot of resonance on it too.

t

ah..yes on the Low Pass Filter on the SYNTH it does.....basic design flaw but if you add resonance you are effectively causing odd of phase signals to be mixed in with the original and it will get thiner AND quieter ( all filters are different , my 4 moog 904a's behave very differently ).........it's basically an out of phase feedback loop !

But I was talking about on the Flanger....very different effect. The sound starts to woosh . You can hear that very clearly on the Star Wars Example

oh....looking here they call it "regen"....short for regeneration i suspect ( sorry in blighty it's resonance )

t