What happens to all the original manuscripts??

JCM

I was just wondering...with all that Williams writes, and knowing he's a traditionalist who doesn't get into using a computer, what happens to the stacks and stacks of manuscript paper with all his hand written scores on them?? Obviously they go to the orchestrator, and then copyists, etc. But people have to be smart enough to realize the value of the hand written version of the memorable (and often historic) themes that come out of Williams' pen!

Can you imagine how much that stuff could go for on an auction???? I know I'd pay a TON to get my hands on anything by him!! The only handwritten music by Williams I have seen is that short little tune he wrote for a JW fanclub a few years back, and the bottom of the Trumpet Concerto CD by the LSO (maybe).

Any thoughts about this??

-JCM

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His drafts, are all in his home, in leather books. He begaun doing this in the 60's, at the advise of Bernard Herrmann. Those drafts were the basis for the recosntruction of the Superman score for the Varese recording, since the orchestral parts used in the recording session in 1978, that are owned by the studio, were lost.

Really can't say... Maybe he had only the sketches and used the lp to get the full orchestrations (he re-made the score for the site by hear).

I don't know when this story was covered, but I think I missed out on hearing it. Anyone mind telling me what you're talking about please?

~Harry

. Those drafts were the basis for the recosntruction of the Superman score for the Varese recording, since the orchestral parts used in the recording session in 1978, that are owned by the studio, were lost.

Yes,and the Varese re-recording is close to the original recording ,I only detected a few difference notably in Helicopter Rescue.Another proof that when the actual written scores leave Williams hands the orchestrators don't have much liberty,like I'm trying to argue about CoS.

K.M.