TV Guide asks, "How Would You Fix Trek?"

Lurker

If you go to TVGuide.com they have a form you can fill out asking what would you do to restore the Star Trek franchise and bring back fans.

Taking a page from Harry Knowles' Nemesis review I suggested that Paramount should consider getting rid of Rick Berman and letting David C. Fein and Michael Matessino take charge of the series. They did such a great job with "The Director's Edition" of Star Trek - The Motion Picture, that I think they could take a currently flawed franchise like Star Trek and restore it to the crowd pleasing entertainment that it used to be.

Neil

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell no, Michael Matessino needs to continue giving us these brilliant expanded/complete releases.

I'm all expanded scores of the Star Trek films if Michael Matessino wants to get into Trek, though.

They have been making these "new" Star Trek series now since 1987.

They did 2 really great ones, one mediocre (Voyager) and from what i've heard Enterprise is not that great either.

It's been 15 years, they should just let end, and perhaps, sometime in the future a new group of people can give it a new, fresh perspective.

Stefancos- who will see Nemesis, in a Star Trek Marathon, coupled with First Contact and Insurrection next weekend. :mrgreen:

I think it should have a much needed rest. However if they want to continue, these days TV is a different kettle of fish. First of all, having these stand alone shows doesn't make for good tv anymore. The episodes have sich rushed, annoying and completely non believable endings. They need to make trek episodic. Themes and stories need to run like Alias, The West Wing, 24, and all the other compelling dramas out there. It doesn't matter if it is set in space and it's a sci fi and all that, compelling tv that draws you in is all about the story, not location or genre. That's what i think needs to change. Have us wanting to come back next week to see what is going to happen.... I'm not hooked

• 2 weeks later...

How to fix Star Trek.

set a new series aboard a Romulan, or Klingon vessel.

Make them threacherous, evil bent. Sure it would be makeup intensive, but it would give the show its edge.

Joe, who wishes television would do a weekly series about a serial killer, from his perspective.

I say get the technology out of the way. They are always blasting some sub-space doo-hickey with anti-protons or tachions or something that saves the day. They always save the universe with something like that. I also say we put Wesley Crusher and Alexander (Worf's son) in a shuttle craft and plunge them directly into a black hole.

How about the fall of the Federation and then trying to rebuild it again. No time travel.

They have already milked this thing for all its worth. They need an enima.

I've got one solution for Berman to reinforce Trek: hire me. :mrgreen:

Enterprise has quite a few regularly-recurring characters and themes. The music's way better, too. For the most part, it's still bland, but they hired a new guy named Velton Ray Bunch and he's a fellow that knows how to score a Trek episode! He's every bit as good as Ron Jones at Jones' best.

One thing I thought about after I saw Nemesis was starting a new movie franchise with a crew that was dedicated to being in Trek movies. Although I wouldn't want to be the person writing those movies or directing them, because those guys would have to make those flicks pret-ty darn good. I think they could do it if they do some homework and just pull some stuff out of classic literature. Just look at the two greats of the existing ten: TWOK and FC. They're both based off Moby Dick (and TWOK's even based off Tale of Two Cities a little, too). They're great movies because of it. Good classics make good Trek movies. Shakespeare's begging for it! And Homer? 4001: a trek odyssey!

I do have to admit that Trek should take a hiatus. I think Enterprise still has potential if they get some decent writing, but somebody's set the course to flop. It's time for new Brannon Bragas and Ron D. Moores to step up and save the Enterprise like they did with TNG.

(Oh...if they make another movie, I think it's time to bring Horner back. Jerry's still doing fine, because I loved "Final Flight" and "Remus", but I've heard enough of that part of the Trek music. I want to hear what Horner has to say 20 years after his last Trek score. He left off on a very good note, I thought. I mean who wouldn't want to hear new variations of his Trek score with Khachaturian? What could be really cool is if Don Davis helped Horner orchestrate, just like Clear and Present Danger, and the new Trek score would sound just like it. Although some more pieces like "Battle in the Mutara Nebula" or "Stealing the Enterprise" or "Bird of Prey De-Cloaking" wouldn't make me complain.)