Is that Tamara?

Is that Tamara Smirnova playing the violin in the Boston Pops recording of Williams' orchestration of the selections from Fiddler on the Roof?

Hector - hoping for Williams and Smirnova to record "Jewish Town" with the Pops

:fouetaa: Williams The Float from Catch Me If You Can

Dan Higgins, alto sax

The Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles

John Williams

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CD is not in front of me, but I don't think it's her. Isn't there a name (Max something) on the cover of the "That's Entertainment" under the "Fiddler on the Roof" sub-title? I guess if your listening to it on "Over the Rainbow", you can't see what I mean. Help, anybody the has CD...

Gil Shaham had a great performance of Jewish Town on the "Treesong" CD that JW recently recorded with the BSO. I love Tamara's playing style - maybe the piece will be included on the next Spielberg / Williams ablum. "The Lost World", "The Patriot", and "A.I." should also be on it, just to name a few.

If somebody from Sony is reading this, please make all future Williams albums hybrid SACDs. You'll make more money and promote the format at the same time.

The soloist was Max Hobart, former concert master fo the boston Pops, and Music Director of the Boston Civic Orchestra. He and Williams also gave a chamber recital, that also included this suite for violin and piano in december 1981, in Boston.

Gil Shaham had a great performance of Jewish Town on the "Treesong" CD that JW recently recorded with the BSO.  

I know about Gil Shaham's recording, and I'm planning on buying it (I don't have money right now), but I would like to have at least two versions of the "Three Pieces from Schindler's List" with two different artists and John Williams conducting. Besides it would be easier to have Tamara playing "Jewish Town" with the Pops under Williams then having Itzhak Perlman and John Williams record again with the Pittsburgh Symphony just to record "Jewish Town" and "Remebrances", which I know won't happen.

:fouetaa: Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture

Israel Philharmonic

Leonard Bernstein

Oh, oh, oh!!!! And by the way, the first time I heard of this three pieces together for concert performance was back in 1999, I think on the local classical music station, they broadcasted a live performance with I don't remember what orchestra, but Joshua Bell played the three pieces.

I'll see if I can find that CD with the City of Prague, I hope this one is good.

:fouetaa: Mancini The Pink Panther

who-knows-who, saxophone

The Boston Pops Orchestra

John Williams