LOTR Theatrical Cut footage not in the EEs

Mr. Breathmask

I just finished watching the EE of FotR. It's always funny to see where stuff from the TC was left out. So if you didn't feel like paying twice back in 2002 and only got the EE, here's what you didn't see:

- After the FotR title disappears, which is placed over the shot of Frodo reading a book under a tree, in the bottom of the screen appears: "The Shire" after which "...60 years later" appears right behind it.

Because the R2 DVD removes subtitles from the print and replaces them by DVD subtitles, I had to pull these two screenshots off a particularly shoddy bootleg. Forgive the poor quality.

fotrtc1.jpgfotrtc2.jpg

- the original arrival of Gandalf to Hobbiton did not have Bilbo's voice-over, but rather a conversation between Frodo and Gandalf about the outside world:

fotrtc3.jpg

EXT. SHIRE/HOBBITON/BAG END - DAY - TRAVELING

They ride through the fields of the Shire, where other Hobbits are busy with their

crops.

FRODO

What news of the outside world?

Tell me everything.

fotrtc4.jpg

GANDALF

Everything?

(chuckles)

fotrtc5.jpg

Far too eager and curious for a

Hobbit.

fotrtc6.jpg

Most unnatural.

fotrtc7.jpg

fotrtc8.jpg

They approach the Bridge out of Hobbiton, and pass the Mill.

GANDALF (cont'd)

Well, what can I tell you? Life in

the wide world goes on, much as it

has this past Age.

fotrtc9.jpg

Full of its own comings and goings,

scarcely aware of the existence of

Hobbits.

fotrtc10.jpg

(to himself)

For which I am very thankful.

- alternate takes of Gandalf and Frodo's conversation about the upcoming party

- Gandalf seeing the party tents being set up and commenting "Oh, a long-expected party," which is of course the name of the book's first chapter

fotrtc11.jpg

- While not marked as such, chapter 15 on disc 1 is also extended. It features one added line of dialogue by the gatekeeper. It used to be "Hobbits. Four Hobbits! What business brings you to Bree?" It is now "Hobbits. Four Hobbits! What's more, out of the Shire by your talk! What business brings you to Bree?" The last line is an alternate, IIRC

- alternate versions of Butterbur's old dialogue. There's some added lines, but the old ones are different too. He wasn't sucking up as much in the original version

- At the council, Boromir originally asked "Why not use this Ring?" He now asks "Why not use this Ring?"

- Nothing missing, but in Moria, when Gandalf talks about Gollum, he now says "He will never be rid of his need for it. He hates and loves the Ring, as he hates and loves himself." These two sentences used to be the other way 'round. These lines are heard in a voice-over.

- the original entrance to Lothlórien. In the EE, the scene cuts to the platform by night after Gimli scowls at Haldir's comment about his breathing. The original version did not have the night scenes, but proceeded thus:

fotrtc12.jpg

Aragorn bows before Haldir.

ARAGORN

(subtitled)

Haldir o Lórien.

(Haldir of Lorien.)

fotrtc13.jpg

Henio aníron, boe ammen i dulu

lîn.

(We come here for help.)

Boe ammen veriad lîn.

(We need your protection.)

fotrtc14.jpg

GIMLI

Aragorn! These woods are perilous!

We should go back.

fotrtc15.jpg

HALDIR

You have entered the realm of the

Lady of the Wood. You cannot go

back.

fotrtc16.jpg

fotrtc17.jpg

His eyes rest on Frodo.

fotrtc18.jpg

HALDIR

Come. She is waiting.

fotrtc19.jpg

He turns and they follow.

- originally, after Galadriel gave Frodo the Light of Eärendil, she said "Namarië," which means "Farewell" before kissing him on his head. This is not in the EE. The original scene was not subtitled.

fotrtc20.jpg

- The TC did not have Merry and Pippin throwing rocks at Boromir's attackers at Amon Hen. Therefor, the shot of their reaction to the first arrow hitting Boromir was a shot from the side, rather than the frontal shot of them stopping halfway through throwing a rock.

fotrtc21.jpg

- Some (presumably) typos and errors were corrected in the end credits.

Anyone got any more?

- Marc

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc

Did you compare the EE with TC or how do to you know the differences so well? Did you notice any music that was different from the EE? I mean what did the EE versions replace? I have not watched the the TC for so long time since I regard the EE so much better. Jackson tinkered with the EE version even more than I remembered. I knew he took multiple takes on a line just to epmphasize certain words but I did not remember that Boromir line for example :)

Marc

Did you compare the EE with TC or how do to you know the differences so well? Did you notice any music that was different from the EE? I mean what did the EE versions replace? I have not watched the the TC for so long time since I regard the EE so much better. Jackson tinkered with the EE version even more than I remembered. I knew he took multiple takes on a line just to epmphasize certain words but I did not remember that Boromir line for example :P

I know them quite well. Particularly FotR. I even made very detailed transcripts of the films (how nerdy is that?). The quotes above are from the FotR transcript.

A few differences in the music:

- Gandalf singing The Road Goes Ever On And On... is now accompanied by music.

- Boromir examining the Shards of Narsil is now scored. The piece of music could already be found on the menu of disc 2 of the TC.

- I don't remember much about alternate versions, except noticing slight differences in Bilbo giving his gifts to Frodo. This cue is now immediately followed by a new piece of music for a new scene, so it may have been re-recorded, but I'm not sure. I don't remember much else. There's probably more instances, though.

Just finished watching TTT: EE. I'm not as familiar with this one, so the only shot missing I noticed is the original version of Faramir's "Bind their hands." Originally, he just showed up and said the line and then went off again, now he walks around first talking about the dead Haradrim soldier and then says the line standing somewhere else.

ttttc1.jpg

ttttc2.jpg

ttttc3.jpg

Also, Minas Tirith has been put into the background in two shots (the shot looking down at Osgiliath from the hilltop and a crane down in Osgiliath itself).

ttttc4.jpgtttee1.jpg

ttttc5.jpgtttee2.jpg

I'll watch RotK tomorrow. Two changes I remember are Gimli now saying "Then let's just have his head and be done with it," rather than "Well, let's just have his head and be done with it," concerning Saruman, and the King of the Dead has been made clearer to see when Aragorn first sees his ghost in the Dimholt passage.

rotktc.jpgrotkee.jpg

- Marc

Just watched the RotK EE. More stuff that was changed:

- alternate take of Gandalf talking to Pippin at Minas Tirith. He didn't use to cough as much (on a sidenote, now that that shot of Pippin pouring water for Gandalf has been added, we can clearly see the exact same prop in two different locations)

- when Aragorn looks back at Gandalf at the Black Gates, just before he says "For Frodo," there now is an alternate of Gandalf looking back. He now raises his hand holding Frodo's mithril vest into frame. We didn't see it in the original.

rotktc2.jpg

- Marc

Marc

Your post with Gandalf's picture reminded me of the TTT soundtrack cover (collector card) with Gandalf the White on it. It is hilarious. It has been taken from the battle of the Helmsdeep after the Rohirrim have descended on the Uruk-hai army. He is laughing as they have turned the tide of the battle.

But the card looks more like he was a madman escaping from a mental institution and glacing back to see if there area ny pursuers on his tail. THe white robes only enhance the image of a mental patient. That is so funny still picture. They would have been tons of better pictures but they had to choose that one! LOL

I see if I can find the picture somewhere and post it here. It is so hilarious.

Sorry but skills in the IT department have run out so here is a link to a small version of the image:

http://www.lordoftherings-soundtrack.com/t...c08_gandalf.jpg