X-Men 2

CYPHER

CYPHER - who prefers X2 to The Matrix Reloaded and prefers Kradia's old avatar to this new one :music:

:sadwavey: LOL

link, was it?

Well, I'm due for a change anyway. 8O

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the movie last weekend (after I couldn't get tickets for Matrix :wave: ). I was paying attention to the score. First White House sequence, hehe, was kind of disturbing for me because they just used Mozart's Dies Irae, from his Requiem. It not only sounded like a "director-still-prefers-temp-track-at-the last-minute" thing, but I also felt a bit insulted because I saw no credits to Mozart, only "music by John Ottman".

The rest of his music was fairly good, I praise Ottman's improvement over his last works.

As for the movie, it had more character develpment than you should expect in a superhero movie like this. What it lacked for me is that characters like Wolferine are invincible, they seem not to have any vulnerability, which makes their plot detached and takes away the uncertainty and the suspense.

I thought X2 was so much more entertaining than Matrix 2. As a reader of the comic series in my youth, I especially appreciate Singer's resolve to keep the characters as close to their comic-counterparts as much as possible. I also liked how he subtley introduced Jean Grey's evolution into Phoenix. I only really read the comic book when John Byrne/Terry Austin/Chris CLaremont were working on the comic book. THere were plenty of great stories and characters that arose during that period. I hope X3 introduces PROTEUS as the next villain. Of all baddies I've ever seen the X-men take on, he seemed to be the most evil and insidious. But, he might be too hard core for the kid audience as he screwed with people's minds and the very fabric of reality. However, that story would have to feature Colossus prominantly which would be cool.

I thought X2 had so many great scenes. The pacing was a little inconsistent but I'll give Singer all the credit for slowing things down enough to have character interactions. The only thing that hurt those scenes was the lack of a really great score. I probably am in the minority, but I prefer Kamen's original score. Yeah, it was a little schizophrenic, but his music for Rogue/Wolverine was quite effective. And Ottmans MaIN THEME bares an amazing similarity to Kamen's in that it has the same intervalic relationships (translation: almost the exact same melody). But Ottman's music is perfectly serviceable for the most part. In fact, I liked his trilling horns when Pyro goes ballistic on the cops. Very effective.

X2 is definitely one of my favorite films of late. Can't wait for X3!!!!

WARNING: Possible spoilers, but I won't be using invisible text.

Oh, and I know I can't be the only one to realize that the ending of this movie was lifted right out of Star Trek II.  So much so that I even suspect that it was temp tracked with Horner's Trek score.

Neil

Oh, oh, oh!!!!! I swear to God I've never heard or read these comments or any other comments or reviews on this movie or any other movies(I've been concentrating on other stuff, and don't care much for movies lately, just a couple of them). I just saw the movie last night and said to my friend that the music for the final scene sounded much the way Horner's finale to Trek II. Then when I said that I realize the character that just died had a closing narration thing. Amazing.

I still have not read the other comments after your post I'm quoting. this was a great movie, the score was great, flawed but fantastic, nevetheless. I can't for a third one.

:) Shostakovich Symphony No. 7 Leningrad

(artists)