Alias

ocelot

What a f***ing amazing season ender! I love this show. Sydney Bristow rocks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:music:

I'm still trying to figure this one out. We talk about it a lot at work.

Sydney is da bomb. But Vaughan and Will are the reason I watch. :(

Yeah, it's a great show. I never saw the first season but my girlfriend got me hooked on the show this year (she had an uncanny resemblance to Jennifer Garner too). I love Giacchino's orchestral scores too. This guy is doing things that I'm only used to hearing in theatres. I don't know if he's the heir to Williams' throne (as much as some tout that) but he's a helluva talented composer. I can't wait for the Season 1 DVD box set to hit stores next Fall. I'm there!!!!

He can't write like Williams. He's not good orchestrally, at least not good enough to be anything like Williams. He's very techno/groove oriented which is the antithesis of Williams, but i do love what he does on the show, it's great. If I ever do a TV series, that's how i want to do it. However when I do movies, I will be extremely orchestral.

His orchestrational skills actually aren't that bad. He's got a good sense of texture and his motivic development is getting better as the show evolves. He also has recurring themes like the Cello Lament for Sydney's mom. Pretty cool show all in all.

Oh yeah I agree totally. He's just not anywhere near Williams harmonically, orchestrationally and technically. He does a fantastic job, as I said I love it, but lets take a chase cue. He stays pretty much on the same key the whole time, he might change a little but it's doubtful most of the time. It's still great but it is what it is. Williams pretty much off the bat has already modulated, used all the orchestra in such complex ways, taken you up down, spun you around a few times and left you on the floor going what the F***?!?!?! Still I love what this guy does on Alias.

More to the topic, what on earth happened in that last scene??????? I am so confused, and Trumpeteer..... Which of the two guys? There are two tents, one with Vaughn, the other with Will...... Answer?

He can't write like Williams.  He's not good orchestrally, at least not good enough to be anything like Williams.  He's very techno/groove oriented which is the antithesis of Williams, but i do love what he does on the show, it's great.  If I ever do a TV series, that's how i want to do it.  However when I do movies, I will be extremely orchestral.

Have you heard SEMPER FI, THE ENTIRE MEDAL OF HONOR SERIES, MY BROTHER THE PIG, REDEMPTION OF THE GHOST, CAMDEN 2000, TAI FU, SMALL SOLDIERS, WARPATH, and THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK? If not, then you truly haven't heard Giacchino's style. Giacchino has wonderful command of an orchestra and those examples listed above prove it. However, most of them aren't available to the public. So, until you have heard everything Michael has done I don't think it is fair to criticise his style if you have only heard his music from Alias. Alias is only a tiny pin prick of what Giacchino is about. There is a ton of talent in him and I think once you get a chance to hear more of what he has done you will soon find that he is right up there with Williams and the rest of the A-list composers!!!

-Erik-

uuuummm... Are you alright dear? I have some fabulous little pills that can help you chill out and don't worry, they won't stay in your system, you can just pee it out over night.

First of all, Lost World, the film, is Williams. If you mean the game, which indeed you do, I happen to know it very well, and the PS2 medal of Honor series. I know I'm only in that shabby little town of Los Angeles, and I'm sure we don't get the latest things you do but I managed to hire this funny little adorable man in Honduras to get me some beluga caviar through the black market and lo-and-behold he happened to have a Play Station 2 on board his stow away ship as well... Voila, PS2, which previously I thought was an STD but I can sometimes be wrong too.

Oh My God, so now I too can play PS2 games some of which I love, some of which I think are just plain inane. Funny things is, some of my friends feel differently. Strange that, it's called taste, it differs.... hhhhmmmmm... Something to mull over while having tea perhaps...

Anyway, I digress.... The moral of this story is that before you induce a heart attack upon yourself by attacking someone with exclamation points and capital letters all over the place it can be said that maybe I just believe he isn't as well rounded as Williams. However, if you again check what I indeed wrote, and again, excuse my provincialness, I did infact say that I LOVED what he does.... hhhhmmm interesting that. In your experienced mind I must therefor hate him too? And the fact that I was talking about Alias stemmed from maybe, correct me if I'm wrong, the fact that this thread is about Alias?

Now I hope you can take a deep breath, relax, maybe some chanting might help, turn on your CD player and Giacchino away, you desreve it and as Revlon, I think, said... you're worth it.

uuuummm... Are you alright dear?  I have some fabulous little pills that can help you chill out and don't worry, the won't stay in your system, you can just pee it out over night.  

First of all, Lost World, the film, is Williams.  If you mean the game, which indeed you do, I happen to know it very well, and the PS2 medal of Honor series.  I know I'm only in that shabby little town of Los Angeles, and I'm sure we don't get the latest things you do but I managed to hire this funny little adorable man in Honduras to get me some beluga caviar through the black market and lo-and-behold he happened to have a Play Station 2 on board his stow away ship as well... Voila, PS2, which previously I thought was an STD but I can sometimes be wrong too.  

What in the hell are you talking about???

Anyway, I digress.... The moral of this story is that before you induce a heart attack upon yourself by attacking someone with exclamation points and capital letters all over the place it can be said that maybe I just believe he isn't as well rounded as Williams.  However, if you again check what I indeed wrote, and again, excuse my provincialness, I did infact say that I LOVED what he does....  hhhhmmm interesting that.  In your experienced mind I must therefor hate him too?  And the fact that I was talking about Alias stemmed from maybe, correct me if I'm wrong, the fact that this thread is about Alias?

That's fine and dandy but you said that Giacchino isn't as well-rounded at Williams based on his score to Alias. And I was just pointing out that if you have a chance to hear his other works you might just change your mind about Giacchino. Just a suggestion.

Now I hope you can take a deep breath, relax, maybe some chanting might help, turn on your CD player and Giacchino away, you desreve it and as Revlon, I think, said... you're worth it.

Well, thanks! I do deserve it!

-Erik-

One can argue that I often never know what I am talking about so don't worry about my rantings and ravings, i watch far too much Dynasty for my own good and i seem to come up with strange plot lines.

I have heard Giacchino doing his games, all I am saying is that he isn't as complex as Williams, not only based on Alias, that just happened to be the subject we were talking aboutat the time. I do like him, I really do, i don't know what i can say to convince you on the subject.

One can argue that I often never know what I am talking about so don't worry about my rantings and ravings, i watch far too much Dynasty for my own good and i seem to come up with strange plot lines.

Oh... O.K.? Gotcha... I think!

I have heard Giacchino doing his games, all I am saying is that he isn't as complex as Williams, not only based on Alias, that just happened to be the subject we were talking aboutat the time.  I do like him, I really do, i don't know what i can say to convince you on the subject.

Oh, I'm sure you do like him, I would just think that you would have a better understanding of what kind of a composer he is if you had the opportunity to hear his other stuff. I wasn't trying to stuff it in your face that I own most of his work... I really wish I could share it with you all because it is very, very good and complex stuff! Have you listened to some of the samples of his other work at his web site? If you haven't then please take moment and have a listen http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/mp3LIST.html

If you have already then I apologise.

-Erik-

P.S. - I like your stories... in a weird kinda way!!!

More to the topic, what on earth happened in that last scene???????  I am so confused, and Trumpeteer..... Which of the two guys? There are two tents, one with Vaughn, the other with Will...... Answer?

Wael, I'm not understanding your question about Vaughn and Will.

And I still can't figure out what to say about the last scene. I was thinking that after she shot the clone, she was found by one of Sloane's cronies, brainwashed and forced to work for him for two years before being dumped in Hong Kong.

But that's really out there. Whatever we find out to have actually happened in the season opener this fall, it won't be anywhere near what anyone imagined.

Jeff -- who is looking forward to summer to catch up on a couple of missed "Alias" episodes

Spoilers...

or did her mom have something to do with it..... Since she is The One?!

As to my question about Vaughn and Will.... Why do you prefer them to Sydney?

Erik. I have heard a lot of his work but I can't wait to go and listen to more on your website. Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you like my stories, I have no idea what happens to me when I write, it just sort of comes out of me like Bulemia, sort of like weird plots in Soap Operas like Dynasty and The Colbys, both of which had some great music in them BTW, over the top but great for TV dramas...... I'm also glad that you don't take my post as an attack, since pretty much everything I write is tongue in cheek :music:

Oh, well, they're great supporting roles that I would have been happy with if they had just been filled with handsome men. But they're played very well, and I like that they both have increased screen time in the second season.

My question was, if you had to decide to save one of them and not the other, who would it be.....