Music issue

hips

I hope I'm not straying too far off from the subject of John Williams, but by now you guys have heard about the continuing controversy of the RIAA cracking down on users of peer-to-peer services like KaZaa, Morpheus and LimeWire.

I don't have any of this on my computer...haven't had it for a long, long time. This was before the RIAA began sending IM (instant messages) to p2p users warning them of the seriousness of downloading. Gee, you just can't bring back the days of Napster.

This crackdown, IMHO, will have a great effect on those people still wishing to obtain MP3s of unreleased Williams material, especially "...Last Crusade". As you have read about, the penalties are severe...you may end up doing jail time.

The one thing I fear is that it this crackdown will spread even further to people trading CD-Rs of Williams material.

Without naming names, there are some real legit sites that do offer Williams material. One such site has the complete CD score to the "Star Wars: A New Hope" and "Return Of The Jedi" special editions, as well as "Hook".

I am doing the correct thing by obtaining the music I want via these real legit sites, even investigating other legit sites for the best way to get my music and support the artists.

I hope you will all do the right thing and think about what you're doing before you start to use that p2p and try and find that unreleased Williams cue you've always wanted.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

King Mark,

If I'm trying to scare people, then that's what the RIAA is doing too...but, with a reason (to quote Harrison Ford in "Regarding Henry")...to stop music piracy. That's all.

hips

I know,but you make it sound like some RIAA people could just bust randomly into your house and check your c.d. collection,or could open random mail packages like customs,or read random private e-mails from people's PC's to check for possible illegal c.d. dealings.

K.M.Who doesn't think any legal issue is a good excuse to spy on people's computer activities.

Actually, the main thrust of the discussion is aimed at those still looking for unreleased Williams cues via p2p services (KaZaa, etc.). I wasn't trying to imply anything else.

I haven't used a file sharing service in at least a year to get music and I'm not missing much of anything. There are always alternatives.

Neil

Yes, this is purely a lecture about the evils of P2P file-sharing, not an excuse for Hips to say, 'I've got unreleased scores, and you don't, and I'm not telling where I got them.'

All in good nature, Hips :mrgreen:

Besides, it absolutely not illigal to have MP3's on your hard drive.

Also, does the RIAA even have any juristiction outside the USA?

Stefancos- who cureently has only about 10 MP3's on his hard drive, but many gigs of wav files of unreleased "promotional" film music. :)

i think it's very funny that because we at JW talk about unreleased music . . .people automatically think we got it off of p2p when in fact, many of us just have connections. . . .:) and not just fast internet connections! ha!

I don't agree with the RIAA's little scare tactics. They are just crying because they don't have full control anymore. I'll buy a frickin' $20.00 CD when I feel like getting raped. Other than that, I'll just use a friend's collection.

Hehe, the RIAA seriously thinks they can sue the whole world. Or a large amount of the virtual world. :cool: This is just a silly scare tactic that won't be significantly effective.

Anyway, Kazaa etc is only used by morons without the proper connections. :) So I don't give a damn anyway. You should be more worried about trustworthy computer intitives by microsoft like paladin and their cd copy protection feature.

Kazaa doesn't have anything of interest anyways.

If you don't do alot of downloading I wouldn't worry. Although those who are registered with places like Kazaa might want to remove it.

I dunno what your rules are but until the end of this year it's still legal for us swedes to download anything we may find through p2p programs, however it's illegal to share anything through these programs. Welcome to the world of swedish law! I've still got a few months to laugh officials in the face :P after that, it'll be illegal for me to even have a p2p program installed on the comp :( (if I understood it right)

Many things are illegal, Magnus, don't worry about it. :( It wouldn't be easily enforceable.