JW and The Adventures of Robin Hood

nja

posted a while back . . .

JWFan.net has learned that John Williams has been approached to talk o­n the DVD of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) about the music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold. So far he has said "We will see, I am extremely busy right now..."

Anyone have any further revelation on what came of this?

Amazon has the release scheduled for Sept. 30th, so I assume the decision would have been made by now.

I for one would love to hear his comments-

TAORH is one of my alltime favorites and would be interesting to hear discussed by JW.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sept. 30th, we will know. :mrgreen:

Marian - who will buy the DVD and the DVD-A of the Morgan/Stromberg recording.

I hope to know before the 30th of September.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Picked up my copy of the DVD's this morning at B&N. Not a sign of JW although there is a significant discussion of Korngold and his score on the second disk (primarily Rudy Behlmer and John Mauceri).

There were some very interesting photos of Korngold, a biographical context, and insights into the scoring.

I do have to confess a little disapointment in Mauceri?s insights (or lack thereof). The only reference he made to a specific track in the film was Korngold?s use of the love theme when Robin and Marian are talking after ?Feast in the Forest? and what a brilliant move it was to use a softer scoring in that particular scene. Maybe I?m missing something, but that seemed a fairly obvious choice for the moment, whereas Mauceri made no mention of ?Ambush in Sherwood? or ?Robin Meets Little John? which I feel are more interesting compositionally.

The special features do include a music-only track (a first release of the original recording if I am not mistaken). Of course better recordings exist in regards to sound quality, but it is a treat to hear the score exactly as Korngold conceived it to match the footage.

IMO, the beautiful clarity of the visual picture is one of the most notable aspects of this release and among other factors would cause me to heartily reccommend the DVD set. Of course the score is a must have for the serious soundtrack collector.

Ordered my copy as part of a Warner Legends box set, also featuring 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' and 'Treasure Of The Sierra Madre' (one of my favourite Max Steiner scores 8O ). Looking forward to Korngold reverborrating around my speakers, unfortunately annoying my dog who really cannot stand brassy music!

-Tim.

Looking forward to Korngold reverborrating around my speakers, unfortunately annoying my dog who really cannot stand brassy music!

You do realize that it's monophonic and of limited fidelity, right?

Neil

Looking forward to Korngold reverborrating around my speakers, unfortunately annoying my dog who really cannot stand brassy music!

You do realize that it's monophonic and of limited fidelity, right?

Neil

Indeed i do, it's lucky we have William Stromberg's crystal clear new recording, have you heard it yet?

-Tim.

Here in Spain, the Tsunami edition is legitimate, and I purchased it in a CD shop. It has an "ancient" mono sound, though not too bad, interesting liner notes, and it includes two versions of "The Procession" track. The second one is a reconstructed version which mixes brassy fanfares into the first one. As a result this second version sounds like a weird stereo, but anyway I like it a lot.

I also have the Tsunami edition of "The Sea Hawk". The sound is slightly better. BTW the first half of the liner notes are the same as in "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

The Tsunami CD of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" lasts 78 minutes 38 seconds. Here is the Track listing:

1. Main Title (1:33)

2. New Taxes / The Poaching Miller (2:56)

3. Nottingham Castle (2:01)

4. The Confrontation / Fight and Chase (5:28)

5. Little John and Robin Hood (3:47)

6. The Pledge (1:53)

7. Friar Tuck and Robin Hood (4:07)

8. Capturing Sir Guy (4:32)

9. Romantic Theme / The Feast (4:06)

10. Lady Marian / Love Theme (5:19)

11. The Tournament (5:50)

12. The Capture / Robin Hood in Chains (3:04)

13. The Escape (4:29)

14. Robin Hood visits Marian (5:58)

15. Marian Caught / King Richard and Robin Hood (4:18)

16. The Procession (4:54)

17. The Fight (5:21)

18. Victory / The End (3:19)

19. King Richard's Theme (1:30)

20. The Procession (Reconstructed Version) (3:12)

Two more thoughts:

1. I'd compare the quality of the sound to the Alex North's "Cleopatra" restored edition from Varesse.

2. What do you think of the track from "The Hollywood Sound" conducted by John Williams and performed by the LSO? I think it is very slow, which makes it the weakest track in that CD.

When talking about Korngold Tsunami, don't forget Captain Blood. It sounds quite good considering it's age, too!

As for me, I'm still waiting for DV-Depot to get the movie DVD in stock, and for infos about whether the Marco Polo DVD-A will be distributed in Austria. :(

Marian - who never got a visit by anyone called Robin.

I was under the impression that the Tsunami albums existence in Europe is a result of some sort of gray area in the copyright laws. Am I wrong in that belief?

I have not heard the new recording yet on Marco Polo. It's not out here in the states and trying to get any info about it is like pulling teeth.

The complete isolated score on the DVD runs about 73 minutes. I'm satisfied with it. However, why does a film from 1938 have better music editing than Attack of the Clones? I know there are some cuts in this (particularly "Escape from the Castle") but they work.

Neil

I have not heard the new recording yet on Marco Polo.  It's not out here in the states and trying to get any info about it is like pulling teeth.

Neil

Ditto for me on the Stromberg. If anybody in Europe could grab an extra copy, I would give my eyeteeth to get one. If somebody is having trouble getting the DVD, I wouldn't mind sending one of those (assuming the regions aren't a problem). My e-mail is <mailfornja@aol.com>.

I'd put Indysolo's question the other way round....

... why does a film from 2002 have worse music editing than a film from 1938?

Actually it has worse music editing than most films, whether contemporary or classics, hasn't it?