Japanese Composer Arrangements

Hi everyone,

I am currently making arrangements/ suites of music by Japanese composers. There is a lot of the classic music you would expect in there, but since I am not an expert on the subject I thought I would ask here. I have a bunch finished already:

Summer (by Hisaishi)
Suite from Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Suite from the Castlevania Games (1-4)
Theme from In the Mood for Love
Pokemon Blue/Red Battle Music
Suite from The Last Emperor (by Sakamoto)
Ran (by Takemitsu)
Suite from the Studio Ghibli
Osaka Lover (by Dreams Come True)
Suite from Super Mario 64
Theme from Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

Since the suites are a bit longer, this collection is already about 70 minutes of music. But for those that know Japanese music well, is there any music that might be nice to add here?

Thanks!!

If anyone might be interested, here is a demo of the mostly finished Zelda suite (some of the levels are off and parts missing, but mostly in one piece)

Are you asking for recommendations of scores from the entire history of Japanese film music? That's quite the broad topic, and I wouldn't really know where to start or stop. I see you have Takemitsu on there. Other legends of that era worth including would be Fumio Hayasaka (esp. SANSHO THE BAILIFF or anything Mizoguchi) or Akira Ifukube (any given GODZILLA).

Putting aside Sakamoto and Hisaishi for a minute (if I were to have a compilation that only fit a single CD, like you do now, I would cover one track from Hisaishi's Miyazaki work and one from his Kitano work), I would include some Naoki Sato. Not necessarily the new GODZILLA, which everyone raves about, but rather UNMEI NO HITO, MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT, KYOJO and MASQUERADE NIGHT.

Something by Taro Iwashiro, like DOG OF FLANDERS, THE CROSSING or FUKUSHIMA 50.

For female composers, Michiru Oshima is great (FULLMETAL ALCHEMST). Or Yoko Kanno, esp. ONNA JOSHU NAOTORA and MEMORIES. And as long as we're speaking Kanno, also something by the male Yugo (interestingly NOT related  to Yoko), and his GUNSHI KANBEE. Really, you can't go wrong with any Taiga drama score, really.

And of course Kitaro, especially HEAVEN & EARTH.

Takatsugu Muramatsu's fine score from last year, IN LOVE AND DEEP WATER.

But I'm no expert either, just a casual explorer. Once you start going down the Japanese rabbit hole, it's hard to come back up. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Are you asking for recommendations of scores from the entire history of Japanese film music? That's quite the broad topic, and I wouldn't really know where to start or stop. I see you have Takemitsu on there. Other legends of that era worth including would be Fumio Hayasaka (esp. SANSHO THE BAILIFF or anything Mizoguchi) or Akira Ifukube (any given GODZILLA).

Putting aside Sakamoto and Hisaishi for a minute (if I were to have a compilation that only fit a single CD, like you do now, I would cover one track from Hisaishi's Miyazaki work and one from his Kitano work), I would include some Naoki Sato. Not necessarily the new GODZILLA, which everyone raves about, but rather UNMEI NO HITO, MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT, KYOJO and MASQUERADE NIGHT.

Something by Taro Iwashiro, like DOG OF FLANDERS, THE CROSSING or FUKUSHIMA 50.

For female composers, Michiru Oshima is great (FULLMETAL ALCHEMST). Or Yoko Kanno, esp. ONNA JOSHU NAOTORA and MEMORIES. And as long as we're speaking Kanno, also something by the male Yugo (interestingly NOT related  to Yoko), and his GUNSHI KANBEE. Really, you can't go wrong with any Taiga drama score, really.

And of course Kitaro, especially HEAVEN & EARTH.

Takatsugu Muramatsu's fine score from last year, IN LOVE AND DEEP WATER.

But I'm no expert either, just a casual explorer. Once you start going down the Japanese rabbit hole, it's hard to come back up. 

Part of it is picking things people might know VS having a good variety. I originally only had one Hisaishi piece, but eh better to have more and cut than not enough. This absolutely helps, thanks so much for taking the time!!