Opera of Rachel Portman

Figo

Just a heads-up to all you film score fans that Rachel Portman's opera of Saint-Exupery's much-loved novel "The Little Prince" will air on many public radio stations tomorrow afternoon (November 1st), beginning at 1:30 pm (ET). Double-check your local listings!

Link to NPR World of Opera:

http://www.npr.org/programs/worldofopera/

And an article from FSM:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2...ttle_Prince.asp

Hope everything is well. Happy Halloween!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Figo. Hope all is well with you.

I saw it when it premiered in Houston, and I'd definitely recommend it for Portman fans, if not for those who need "interesting harmonies" in their music.

Thank you for your well-wishes, Hlao-roo. I've been very busy. That radio program I was talking about before my abrupt disappearance, all those many months ago, while not yet syndicated, is now in its 44th week! How time flies...

I'm planning an hour segment around Williams' concert music, to be aired on his birthday (Feb. 8). You should be able to hear it over the internet, so maybe I'll post a link as it gets closer to the date.

Speaking of links, here's a synopsis of Portman's opera. **PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TIME POSTED IS CENTRAL, AN HOUR BEHIND THE 1:30 START TIME I HAD PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED.**

http://www.houstongrandopera.org/calendar/....aspx?EventID=9

who finds it just a bit to coincidental that Marioan would play music from The Omen trilogy whilst responding to a post from Figo.

Yeah, particularly on October the 31st. :roll: And hey, just because you're Dutch doesn't mean you have to associated my name with drugs.

Marian - :nono:

Did anyone else listen to this? It was damn lovely! I thought the use of children's choir and marimba to represent the stars a particularly striking idea. The whole thing reminded me of Christmas. (The Christmas opera "Amahl and the Night Visitors" also employs a boy soprano.)

It may not have been harmonically adventurous, as Hlao-roo rightly observed, but who needs harmonically adventurous all the time? The tonal language did nothing to extend the traditions of the 19th century, but, in this pluralistic age, isn't the vocabulary associated with film every bit as valid a "contemporary" expression as serialism, hip-hop, or banging on trash can lids?

But I'm preaching to the choir here.

"The Little Prince" was consistently beautiful. I hope someone sees to it that an authorized recording is issued -- SOON. And I hope some of you film music geeks gave it a shot. Especially since NPR offered a substantial amount of filmic encores -- selections from Portman's "Emma," Franz Waxman's Sinfonietta, the Korngold Violin Concerto, "The Vintner's Daughter" by Miklos Rozsa, and more Portman, by way of "The Cider House Rules."

In truth, her film music never struck me as anything more than pleasant. But "The Little Prince" had moments that make one ache -- and I mean that in the best possible way!

I listened, and liked it very much indeed. :) I've heard snippets of Portman's music before, and was interested in hearing more, but wasn't sure quite what to expect. It was very lyrical and lovely, and, I too, would like to see it released on disc.

I saw it when it premiered in Houston, and I'd definitely recommend it for Portman fans, if not for those who need "interesting harmonies" in their music.

Alan, it must have been quite a thrill to hear it live!

~Mari

Man, yet again. too late on this. I've had an unbelievable weekend and beginning of week, and i'm surprised my hair isn't grey now.

Figo, great to see you again. I LOVE the little prince, Will I be able to hear it again?

Thanks for the welcome back, Ren (and others). NPR doesn't generally re-broadcast their live opera performances -- which means you'll either have to (a) wait for another major opera company (doubtfully the Met) to stage it and hopefully cut a deal to have it broadcast; (B) hang in there until it is issued commercially (IF it is issued commercially); or © surf the internet looking for bootlegs. "The Little Prince" is such a popular book -- and Portman's response so lovely -- we can only hope it thaws the heart of some jaded record exec somewhere.

Sorry to hear you are going through a rough time.

Figo, who has been having regular shouting matches with his landlord and incompetent maintenance people for the better (or worse?) part of a week.