Williams scored Blade Runner?

Jango Fett

I was browsing the internet just now.

And found out that Williams has scored the work of blade runner. I really did not know that

He worked on it in collaboration with vangalis, that explains the synthersizer music.

I thought bladerunner to be a very nice score, not superb but nice. I normally don't like synthersizer music that's why I don't think Hans Zimmer to be a grand composer. But as in some works of Zimmer I think this score is quite interesting

But nevertheless it's quite a shocking experience to me

Mark

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But nevertheless it's quite a shocking experience to me

Mark

It's also not true, John Williams did NOT score Blade Runner.

I do believe he composed the logo music for The Ladd Company, and that that logo music was used first before Blade Runner.

Stefancos- :)

There's been some mixup over the years because of that Ladd Logo. A few scores have been credited to Williams because of the logo. I even remember John Barry saying something about it in an interview a few years ago (About Body Heat).

There was one Williams track used in the temp score. I don't know which one but it's on one of the countless bootlegs (15-20 different ones!) of Blade Runner. Also the theme logo of the Ladd Company is included on most bootlegs. For many BR fanatics the Ladd Company logo is a part of the complete BR movie experience just like Star Wars fanatics embrace the 20th Century Fox logo as a part of Star Wars.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

There was one Williams track used in the temp score. I don't know which one but it's on one of the countless bootlegs (15-20 different ones!) of Blade Runner.

I would really like to know what cue was temped... :)

There was one Williams track used in the temp score. I don't know which one but it's on one of the countless bootlegs (15-20 different ones!) of Blade Runner.

I would really like to know what cue was temped... :)

When I ran into that webpage mentioning a Williams track in Blade Runner, two-three months ago, I thought I should post about it. It was really news to me that the BR temp track contained some Williams. But I didn't post it because I was sure nobody over here cares about these things. And now I can't seem to find it anymore.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

It seems to me that anytime someone doesn't know who composed a famous movie score, they say John Williams did it. I've seen Gettysburg, Robin Hood, Independence Day, Stargate, Chariots of Fire, the list the goes on...

That sorts it out then!

I feel like a complete idiot but I had to know

Arnold's stargate is indeed a great score, but only the main theme is quite good the rest is quite more of the same

Mark

That sorts it out then!

I feel like a complete idiot but I had to know

Arnold's stargate is indeed a great score, but only the main theme is quite good the rest is quite more of the same

Mark

yep, I just like the theme, really moving...did a nice job he did.... :music:

I know that Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes was used as a temp track for Blade Runner, but I haven't heard of any Williams music being used. I'll look into it though.

Neil

No need to look into it anymore. I've found it!

From Bladezone:

Deck Definitive Edition - 2001 Deck Art (Japan)  

This is basically a manufactured version of the "Deck Special Edition" release with a few bonus tracks. One of the bonus tracks includes a piece by John Williams that was used as a temp track for the work print. This piece includes the dialog from the "Tears in Rain" speech. Interesting, even though the underscore is credited to John Williams, it doesn’t mention the origin of the piece. This now holds the distinction of garnering the highest price I seen paid on eBay for a "Blade Runner" soundtrack - $1099 (again, it wasn’t me). There were supposedly 500 copies of this disc originally manufactured, so the higher-than-$1k selling price is probably just an anomaly. The price will no doubt drop, as more become available.

It's a description of one of the bootlegs. They don't know what cue it is, though. Probably not a Williams fan.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

So now we are trusting information that was found on a bootleg item sold on eBay? I don't think any of that is credible. Shame on you Alex for passing this off as the real thing.

Now on page 401 of Paul M. Sammons excellent Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner:

"At the point where Deckard drives up to the Bradbury Building to battle Pris and Roy in the WP [workprint], Vangelis' score is dropped altogether from this version of the film. Instead, various Jerry-Goldsmith [sic] music cues from Planet of the Apes, Freud, and Alien were inserted on the WP soundtrack by editor Terry Rawlings; these different cues now run on as the film's musical score until almost the very end of the Workprint."

Any questions, class?

Neil

So now we are trusting information that was found on a bootleg item sold on eBay?  I don't think any of that is credible.  Shame on you Alex for passing this off as the real thing.

Now on page 401 of Paul M. Sammons excellent Future Noir:  The Making of Blade Runner:

"At the point where Deckard drives up to the Bradbury Building to battle Pris and Roy in the WP [workprint], Vangelis' score is dropped altogether from this version of the film.  Instead, various Jerry-Goldsmith [sic] music cues from Planet of the Apes, Freud, and Alien were inserted on the WP soundtrack by editor Terry Rawlings; these different cues now run on as the film's musical score until almost the very end of the Workprint."

Any questions, class?

Neil

Nope, that is enough information for me :sigh:

So now we are trusting information that was found on a bootleg item sold on eBay?  I don't think any of that is credible.  Shame on you Alex for passing this off as the real thing.

Neil

Sure, Meine Fuhrer, it might very well be a fraud. But when 500 pressed (manufactured) CDs are made, claiming that track 26 by John Williams was used in the temp score of Blade Runner, I can't mention it here? Btw, I've said from the start it was on a boot. (a $1000 boot, BTW!) I didn't post this 2-3 months ago but given the topic of this thread (Williams supposedly scoring Blade Runner) I thought I'll do it anyway.

Et voila, les boots:

http://www.bladezone.com/contents/film/pro...reamt_music.php

http://www.scififilmmusic.com/sfsm/stracks.../st_brunner.htm

-----------------

Alex Cremers

Sorry, Stefancos, Mein Fuhrer!!!!!

I canz't dezides who Mein Fuhrer ist. Stefancos or Indysolo?

I shall consult the boot, he will know what to do.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't doubt that there is a Blade Runner boot with a John Williams track on it. I just don't think that's a very credible source. Bootlegs are not known for there quality control.

I have pointed out that many Jerry Goldsmith cues were used in the workprint in the film from a legitimate source.

Neil