BBC4 Film Composers

Melange

Did anyone else in the UK catch the new series on BBC4 last night?. I missed the first few minutes. But the first episode was all about Miklos Rosza, his life, concert and film music, interviews, and they're going to feature a new composer each week it seems. Last night they intereviewed the likes of John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith at great depth. Goldsmith recounting his aqquaintance with Rosza, etc. Later on, they performed live the Spellbound concerto, complete with a player of the "Theremin" (the electronic field wand instrument used ot create the motif of paranoia in Gregory Peck during the score). Amazing seeing someone playing that invisibly. Such a beautiful instrument. Apparently there are few players of this instrument in the world, but they managed to find a British women who had studied it, to perform with the orchestra. A good program. If i'd known they were on beforehand, i could of taped them. But someone just notified me at the last minute. If we're lucky, they'll get around to Williams and Goldsmith. The program is about 1 hour,each episode.

http://theremin.info/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And all I get is BBC America. All the home and garden shows you could possibly want. :baaa:

Although I did get to see the new series of Coupling just a few weeks after it debued in the UK, so I can't complain too much. I remember when it would take 6 months or more for a new series of Red Dwarf to make it to US PBS stations. banghead

Hi Indiana,

I would assume it's every Sunday. It also just occured to me, that BBC4 often repeats it's shows throughout the week incase people missed it the first time around. So they may show that episode again later this week. Keep your eyes peeled for it.