The Lord of the Rings Symphony - Auditorium Theater - Chicago - October 8 & 9 2004

QMM

Is anybody planning on going to the LOTR Symphony concert at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago? I'm plannin on going but haven't decided on which date to go on (Oct 8 or 9)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought tickets for the LOTR Symphony in the Auditorium Theater for Oct. 9th, we'll be in row V of the Orchestra sections, seats 206-210

• 1 month later...

Since the concert's next week, was wondering if there's anybody else going to it.

I'll be going to the Oct 9th concert, me and my family will be in row V of the Orchestra sections, seats 206-210. I didn't pay the extra 75 bucks(a person) for the champagne thing where you can meet Shore but oh well.

I'll post impressions of it after I get back along with pics if I get any

Max

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't pay the extra 75 bucks(a person) for the champagne thing where you can meet Shore but oh well.

Good thing too. They'd probably pack you into a rushed post-concert meeting with a reluctant Shore (he's hardly a 'people's composer', on stage at least) and you'd feel about as VIP as a sardine.

Tell us how you found the Symphony though, I'm interested in others' opinions after my lengthly report!

I attended last night?s concert here in Chicago. This was actually my second time seeing the symphony performed. Back in March, I saw it in Columbus, OH (USA premier).

I too skipped out on the $75 post-concert meeting. While I would have liked to have had Howard Shore sign the CD cover to Return of the King, I?m just not a big enough fan to warrant that much money. On the other hand, I would have no problem paying $75 to meet John Williams! :( I?ve attended meet-and-greets before and all too often, they rush you through the meeting, as Miz implied. Sometimes, you do have nice meetings. A few months ago, I got to meet with Sissel and she was very friendly (and she's much more prettier than Howard Shore :music:). This is a woman who is truly enthusiastic about the LOTR symphony and she?s really having a great time on stage.

During the pre-concert Q & A session with Howard Shore (in Columbus, OH), we were informed that Howard had been signing CDs at a Borders store earlier in the day. So, not everyone has had to pay to see him. Too bad I didn?t find out about the Borders in-store appearance until after the fact. :music:

Just got back this afternoon from some shopping in Chicago, the concert was AMAZING

Hearing a full symphony, choir and children's choir was more breathtaking than anything I could imagine (eargasm) and my heart was thumping through the whole thing

Here's the actual songs in each movement for those who dont know them,

FOTR

Movement 1

The Prophecy-Concerning Hobbits-The Shadow of the Past-A Short Cut to Mushrooms-The Old Forest-A Knife in the Dark

Movement 2

Many Meetings-The Ring Goes South- A Journey in the Dark-The Bridge of Khazad Dum-Lothlorien-Gandalf's Lament-Farewell to Lorien-The Great River-The Breaking of the Fellowship

Intermission

Sissel came out before the start of TTT

TTT

Movement 3

Foundations of Stone-The Taming of Smeagol-The Riders of Rohan-The Black Gate is Closed-Evenstar-The White Rider-Treebeard-The Forbidden Pool

Movement 4

The Hornburg-Forth Eorlings-Isengard Unleashed-Gollum's Song

ROTK

Movement 5

Hope and Memory-The White Tree-The Steward of Gondor-Cirith Ungol-Anduril

Movement 6

The End of All Things-The Return of the King-The Grey Havens-Into the West

After the last movement and a few standing ovations, Shore came out to shake hands and bow with the conductor and Sissel.

The concert itself was around 2 and a half hours I'd say and well worth the money. Hearing Sissel in person is very very satisfying and I wouldn't hesitate to go again

Max

Concert was great but I was a bit surprised to see Howard Shore................in the audience! :)

(He sat in one of the upper boxes on the left side of the auditorium) Does anybody know why in some cities he is not conducting even though he is present? Not that I'm complaining, I did see him conduct the symphony in Ohio. I'm just curious as to why he didn?t conduct in Chicago.