Analyze "Summon the Heroes"

Josh500

Now, it's been almost nine years ever since I heard this for the first time, and it still takes my breath away. What is so great about it? some may ask, and I say, Everything. The performance by the Boston Pops Orchestra is top-notch, of course, and John Williams having written this doesn't hurt, either.

;) My favorite part starts at 1:58 with the drum roll, and then this rhythmic brass section, rather low, comes on . . . I have to grin every time I hear it. And then at 2:42, the main melody starts again, this time with the trumpet accompaniment by Tim Morrison. God, I had no idea a trumpet could play this fast . . . the best part then, I think, is the trilly thing (is it a trill? I don't think so, but it's so fast I can't really tell) the trumpet does at the 2:49 and 2:50. This is where JW REALLY outdoes himself.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear something new in it each time I hear it. IMO, the last 4 minutes of the piece (everything after the solo) is fascinating. I hear it as if the different parts of the orchestra are fighting amongst themselves for dominance, occaisionaly there are alliances, the brass try to steal the glory and end it early, but the rest of the orchestra is pissed off at that, so they restart it. The brass realize they were unfair, and the entire orchestra puts aside their differances to complete the piece perfectly. If you want to know what the strings are saying in Hymn to the Fallen or the conversation between the brass and the woodwinds in Scherzo for Motocycle and Orchestra, just ask. :)

Indeed, it's a great piece. I don't listen to it a lot (I have it my iTunes, but I have my playlist on shuffle, so I usually only hear it when it randomly comes on), but I really enjoy it. From a solely compositional standpoint, I think the piece was constructed brilliantly. All the different sections, so unique, finally coming together for one last hoorah at the end. It's just a great piece. Oh, and I really like your interpretation of it, Morlock - very interesting!