Stupid musical question, beg your pardon ...

gkgyver

But what does "overdubbing" or "dubbing" mean? You know, I'm from Germany, and I always thought that you could only dub an actor, but it seems that it's also an important part during the process of scoring a film.

Anyone?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it's inconvenient or impossible to record every instrument at the same time. Unusual instruments tend to be overdubbed, for example, I'm sure the electric guitar in "Chase Through Coruscant" was.

You hear more of it in rock music, to beafen up the guitar sound and whatnot. For example, if a band only has one guitarist, he'll play over his previously recorded track on a new track, even if it's more or less the same thing.

Tim

Ah! Now I get it!

So, to make a cue more powerful, you could do two or three takes and layer them?

Then I guess vocal soloists are overdubbed, too.

In the early years of film scoring, lots of instruments were doubled. The liner notes of the Morgan/Stromberg Marco Polo recordings give some info on that.

Vocals seem to be recorded separately very often. Take the "orchestral only" Merry Christmas on the expanded HA2, it seems like they just didn't mix in the choral tracks for that one.

Mike Oldfield's original Tublar Bells was performed entirely by himself, instrument by instrument.

Marian - :)

:lsvader: Jurassic Park III (Don Davis)

All the songs on George Michael's "Faith" album were done the same way. But I believe most of the chorus in the "Star Wars" series was recorded at the same time as the orchestra. I saw them do that in the music video for "Duel of the Fates."

gkgyver, a wonderful example of overdubbing is "Ripley's Rescue" from "Aliens." The orchestra recorded their part separate from the percussion section. Notice that the percussion has a separate track as a bonus on the CD.

Jeff -- who wouldn't have known that otherwise