Close Encounters Cut scene music

GoodMusician

I was curious weither any of the old soundtracks or maybe the one I've seen pics of... the ever elusive "alternate cue" close encounter cd, if that has the cut scene music too. There's a scene on my CEOT3K dvd of Roy in the ship and the music that plays I've only heard one place, and that's on the "Williams on Williams" cd. I was curious if there was other music like that anywhere else.... Or if that's really the only recording of that cue...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That scene was shot for the 1980 Special Edition of the film.

There fore the music which Williams composed especially for that scene is not on the OST CD, and if memory serves it's not contained on the bootleg either (correct me if i'm wrong guys)

I checked out my Williams on Williams cd... and got almost all of the scene on the Close Encounters track... there was still maybe... 30 seconds missing. It says that there are three cd's availiable with inside the spaceship on them--Williams on Williams, Williams Greatest Hits (1969-1999), and JW with Boston Pops--but are they all the same recording? and are any of them complete? lol...

I'm a completist and since I have a music editor I can clip them together. I've done that so far... I just need those like few more seconds.

I'm still trying to figure out where that scene went in the scheme of that track because as far as musically... It looks like it went right after the huge swell, and before the build back up where the ship takes off... is that correct? anyone know?

I have this cue, which is often referred to as "Inside The Mothership" but to me it seems that there is only 10 seconds or less missing. The cue was taken from the CD "JW and The BP: Space and Time" (but the cue was also released in Australia in 1984 on a LP called "1984: A Space Odyessy - JW and The BP").

I can't tell you if they are the same recoreding as on other CD's but they appear to be the same on the two I have mentioned above.

I've already mixed this cue into the OST to make a "Special Edition" version as well as leaving out the unreleased cues. The missing few seconds is at the start of the cue when Roy begins the walk up into the Mothership. I figured it was only a few seconds and, unlike some other board members, I can live with that. 8O

"It looks like it went right after the huge swell, and before the build back up where the ship takes off... is that correct? anyone know?"

Yes, this is the correct area but remember to place it BEFORE the music where Lacombe uses the hand signals to the Visitor Leader.

The original recordng of this cue has never been released. I believe it was recorded in Boston the day before Pops in Space was recorded. Didn't they talk about this last year when we were all tuned in online to hear the Williams concer that was later blocked out for internet listeners?

Neil

Didn't they talk about this last year when we were all tuned in online to hear the Williams concer that was later blocked out for internet listeners?

Neil

I....would'nt...know!

This part was on before the block out.

Neil

I belive your right, Neil. The additional music for the 1980 special edition of Close Encounters was recorded in Boston, around teh same time Williams recorded his first Boston Pops album.

And the recording menssioned above, as coming from Space and Time (released in 1995) and other compilations, was originally released on Pops in Space (1980).

I checked again, and I'm missing 26 seconds of the begining of the track as Roy walks into the ship.

The part I cut starts with a little chime and then like...5 seconds latter has the vocals commig in. I dunno. I'll have to see if your version has more music than mine.

I'm just kinda anal sometimes with this stuff. I never understood why they write the damn stuff if people arn't gonna get to listen to it... I dunno... I mean, is it sooo wrong to ask that they release all the music??? lol...it's not like it's doing anthing sitting in the archives...

And sometimes it gets lost ie: Return of the Jedi, or destroyed ie: Towering Inferno... I mean, if they just realsed it, there would be something to go on...

Oh well... I can understand from a marketing stand point, that if they wait some time to release it all, it can be used as a marketing scheme--that I fall into. heh... but still... at SOME point, they need to release it...

Like maybe, heaven forbid, after John has passed, they should go through his entire collection and re-release complete albums all the way through. The "John Williams" definitive collection. I think I just wet myself...

I'm just kinda anal sometimes with this stuff. I never understood why they write the damn stuff if people arn't gonna get to listen to it.

Because it's film music, so the main reason for it being created is NOT for the purpose of a CD or record sale....

Seems pretty clear to me, though it can be frustrating.