"Hide and Seek"

Trumpeteer

I recently watched "AI" for the purposes of breaking in my new receiver's DTS output. Sounds fantastic.

So fantastic that I picked up on something I never picked up on before,maybe because I hadn't been fully utlizing my sound system. In the "Hide and Seek" scene, there's a woodwind hidden in the music that is not on the CD version. Both cues run the same length of time (give or take a couple of seconds), and so it surprised me that what we got on the CD was NOT the film version.

I know, I know, it happens. But how much? Is what we get on the CD a re-recording or alternate take most of the time? If it weren't for me really hearing this cue from five speakers, I probably would have never noticed the woodwind (oboe?), which is probably why I think that instrument was dubbed in later or was a last-minute addition.

Comments?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little off-topic, but has anyone else noticed what Williams has done with this track...In my opinion, the track is reflecting upon opposites... Hide/Seek ... Mecha/Orga...

I think that he's using the synthesised melody to represent the mecha and the piano (organic instrument, really) for the orga... At first they are just question and answer phrases... I think he's trying to represent that mecha/orga are different but the playfulness of the tune hints at a sort of friendship almost... I like the way that at the end, the piano and synth come together (it's almost like the mecha and orga are playing together :thumbup:)

Clever Johnny :)

Oh, and I have the promotional score which is more or less identical to the soundtrack version minus a different ending (in the soundtrack, it is pointlessly faded out), but if you listen to the full recording, Williams actually wrote a nice string ending...

I'll have to check out the DVD some time but an alternate take seems probable.

Cool topic - one of my favourite tracks from one my favourite JW scores. I listened to the film again, and can kinda see what you mean. The oboe-sounding sound, though, could be a SFX, I dunno.

I thought everyone was referring to that God-damned-awful movie with Robert DeNiro and Dakota (she's scrambling my brain) Fanning.

Nothing like watching a movie about an incestuous realtionship. I know that DeNiro has a penchant for doing every movie he possibly can, but this was one he should have stayed far away from.

Oh that Orga/Mecha thing was very obvious to me from the start. Brilliant scoring from JW. The synth motif is actually the one assinged to David's Mecha origin. It appears on the score a couple of times. David has a theme that is used if few places to refer to his wish to be human. The middle part of Reunion where the oboe solo starts is actually David's theme and not a development of Monica's theme IMO. The theme appears in Mecha World when David has arrived to the Cybertronics building and he reads the Blue Fairy poem from the door. Hide and Seek has both David's themes and Monica's theme playing all together. Brilliant.

Cool topic - one of my favourite tracks from one my favourite JW scores. I listened to the film again, and can kinda see what you mean. The oboe-sounding sound, though, could be a SFX, I dunno.

OK. So what sound effect is it supposed to be for on the screen?