Star Trek 2: The Directors Edition

Hitch

Sorry: Non-Williams topic

Just received my Region 1 DVD of ST 2: The Directors Edition. Gotta say that the new scenes (7 mins) didn't really do much justice to the movie...and the crap picture badly needed remastering. Come on Paramount. We give you millions every year to keep you happy and what do you give us in return? And the second disc is just filled with crap. Not like the ST: TMP Directors Edition which is far superior in quantity.

James Horner's score is the only thing that came off this DVD with its reputation intact. And he only gets a mention once though I haven't heard the directors commentary yet. Anyone going to rip this score to get me I mean us a complete version????

Hitch :cry: at Paramount for whom he directed some great classics.

Listening to THE FURY: Deluxe Edition....sheer class! Some great Herrmann-esque cues. :P

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how old the movie was I thought the picture quality was pretty good. And I enjoyed the Captian's Log and Visual Effects features on the second disc.

But it doesn't come close to the TMP release, I fell out of my seat when I saw some of the new effects. The overall clean up turned TMP from a pretty good movie into an excellent one.

BTW, is that Spock's theme or Yoda's theme in STII? Is there a difference? Typical Horner. LOL

Meyer points out Horner's walk-by cameo among the scenes of the crew readying for battle. He also recalls tells Horner to think about "waves" and the Horatio Hornblower naval analogy, but then later says he was getting tired in the ST films of using the "rum-ta-tum" march music. So his comments on Horner's work were a little ambiguous. I think it's a classic for sure, bombastic and derivative or not. I thought the remastered picture quality and sound were great as were the various humorous hommages to ST:TOS on Disc 2.

RE: The Hermannesque Fury -- Yeah, definitely! All the hype about Herrmann quotes and hommages in AOTC and MR is really over nothing compared to this score.

Ordered my copy (of The Fury DE) online today, can't wait.