Kennedy Center Honor!?

banthapoodoo

Is anyone else as ticked off as I am that Williams hasn't received a Kennedy Center honor? This guy is America's composer (the Olympics, Statue of Liberty Opening, etc.), has arranged for some of the best singers in the business, composed commisions for some of the greatest orchestras in the country and conducted the Boston Pops. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, HE'S ALSO HAS THIS OTHER JOB OF COMPOSING FILM MUSIC!!! banghead censored What are they gonna do, wait until he's too old to walk up there and accept it? :mrgreen:

Opinions, please!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like he's never received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy yet.

Yeah, really! You would think after five wins, they should throw in a token trophy on top of that...

Goldsmith would probably be a good candidate for that. Alex North got his after zero wins.

I would think that Williams accomplishments and achievments are reward enough. Not that he shouldn't be recognized. However, I would not be mad if he wasn't given a n award like the above mention ones. He, IMHO, has recieved nemerous rewards already. He is doing what he loves.

~Conor

"It's the music that matters; not the hype." - Eddie and the Cruisers II

Will these types of accolades and awards make Williams' music any better, more enjoyable, or more likely to be remembered and cherished in the years to come?

Granted, I think it's a ******* joke that Alan Menken has the same number of Oscars as Williams and Goldsmith combined. But just think, a couple of years ago AFI (American Film Institute) made a list of the 100 best movies ever and not a whole lot of Best Picture Oscar winners were on the list.

The cream will rise and the works that deserve to be remembered will be.

It'll just take time.

And besides, if Williams did get these accolades, it would take away from his composing (a day for each award ceremony, right?).

bruckhorn

that's right Morn, academy award winners are usually the ones that are most popular amongst audiences AND critics.

Williams doesn't need a Lifetime Acheivment Award. How many Oscar's has he already won? 5? That's more than most people. A Lifetime Acheivment Award is usually presented to someone the academy has consistently overlooked, like Alex North.

Neil