"Always" and "Fantasia on a theme by Tallis"

filmmusic

I just saw this in imdb, in the trivia for the film "Always" (1989).

Portions of John Williams' music are derived from Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis."

where did he come up with such a conclusion? what portions could the writer mean?

I don't think I agree.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this in imdb, in the trivia for the film "Always" (1989).

Portions of John Williams' music are derived from Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis."

where did he come up with such a conclusion? what portions could the writer mean?

I don't think I agree.

I think he could be referring to the opening score track of the album Among the Clouds and another track Rescue Operation, which do not to my ears bear any resemblance to the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis other than have the same kind of luminous, expressive quality but that's about it. I can't hear any direct melodic similarities at all. And the claim that the music in the film is derived from the piece seems to me like ignorant nonsense.

I don't see any resemblance either. The piece by Vaughan Williams is bloody amazing btw.

Yeah it is indeed. :)

They also say on IMDB that they filmed some scenes from Jurassic Park in the Dominican Republic which is a complete lie lol

Yeah IMDB is certainly not a reliable source for information, the forums most specifically.