Mysterious/Dreamy harmony

lune856

Hi gangs,

This is a clip that I exported long time ago (not really sure what the name of the movie was. It was some old independent film.) Anyways it has some mysterious+dreamy sorta sound. I've been trying to transcribe this with no success so far.

I know that the overall tonality starts off with Dm (D F A) then B triad sneaks in around 00:03- 00:04 secs creating this nice effect. To my ears, it seems that strings (tremolo) and winds are playing constant Dm notes (D F A, holding the notes) but maybe the celesta is playing B triad around 3-4 secs (along with flute's short F#B phrase) . Anyhow, I feel there's got to b e more to this than just those. I know this is one of those chromatic mediants that J.Williams love to use. This one however, is blent so well that it seems to resonate harmony instead of any dissonance that should have been created by Dm and B Major triads. I just can't analyze by my ears. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

DREAMYEffectM.mp3

You've already pretty much analyzed it!

What adds diffusion is the gong at the very beginning. Upper strings maintain their D minor shimmer, while lower winds morph to B major (preceded by Celesta). What lends logic to the passage, is that D minor and B major belong to the same octatonic scale (D-D#-F-F#-G#-A-B-C-D), thus the two triads "co-exist" relatively consonantly.

Thanks so much for the help. You've really cleared those grays areas for me. Can't thank you enough. Should I call this polychord? Or is there any terminology to call this? Maybe I should just call this Holst-ism?

I am unable to describe music in technical terms, but...two "dreamy" pieces of music, for me, are the four chords that underscore the "Damien looking out the window" scene, in "TFC", and the two, what appear to be seperate chords, as Spock looks forlorn at his Khonlinar symbol on Vulcan at the begining of "ST:TMP".

I am unable to describe music in technical terms, but...two "dreamy" pieces of music, for me, are the four chords that underscore the "Damien looking out the window" scene

Which cue's that?

Most of TFC has been wiped from my memory.

It's the short scene, when Damien is talking to Harvey Dean. Damien looks out of his office window, and sees one of the monks sitting on a park bench outside his office. It cuts directly to the bus trundling along the moors. The music is on both editions, of the C.D. Those four chords, are simply astonishing!

What the heck is "TFC"? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about

It's the short scene, when Damien is talking to Harvey Dean. Damien looks out of his office window, and sees one of the monks sitting on a park bench outside his office. It cuts directly to the bus trundling along the moors. The music is on both editions, of the C.D. Those four chords, are simply astonishing!

Yeah, but what's the name of the track?

Jason - Richard's talking about OMEN III: THE FINAL CONFLICT.

Yeah, but what's the name of the track?

Jason - Richard's talking about OMEN III: THE FINAL CONFLICT.

It's called "Electric Storm".