Definition of "definitive"

cmh90790

8 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

JW knows his OST is still out there for people to seek out and enjoy. He's just begrudgingly participating in all this pedantic C&C crap just to appease a loud minority of strait-jackets.

I don't understand how wanting the music heard in the film is pedantry?

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Exactly. He signs off on them, perhaps even some supervision. But they are in no way his preferred way of presenting the music. Or is your argument now, Arpy, that Williams secretly wants C&C releases of all of his music, but he keeps giving us beautifully arranged albums to piss off people like you?

Oh for fucks sake, I love Williams' album releases, I've told you before that I admire them and for many years they were my babies! There's no conspiracy, Williams wouldn't have any grounds to say: "Fuck off, I gave them a few crumbs before!". He wasn't pressured into it either...

I don't know if it's Williams' goal to piss people off who love his music and want more of it commercially available. I like to think his knowledge of the Artificial Intelligence FYC bootleg had spurred him into action to think about, or at least be open to the possibility of releasing expanded sets of his work. A.I., JP, and now E.T. has given me much hope this trend will continue for Potter, Wars and Jones.

I think Williams does these purely out of courtesy to the specialty labels requesting them, and that his involvement is minimal.

But it's rather pointless to speculate, as one would need to ask the composer himself. I do think, though, that in the case of Williams, his OST production speaks for itself.

I would think that if it was a limitation/tradition of the time to release an OST of a fashionable length/special arrangements Williams certainly put a great deal of effort into how it was presented. There's no doubt that he would've given the same attention to the C&C if he was directly involved and active in producing them, still offering suites, album versions etc. 

Really? Do you in all seriousness think Williams would actively initiate a C&C release of his score, and let that be the first, commercially available presentation of said score?

When he was younger and if it was the best thing to do commercially, yes. 

Why do you think that would preclude there being none of the hallmarks of what makes a great album release? He would still do album versions, concert suites etc...

5 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I think he just likes to promote his preferences in a world that's rigidly adversarial to what they've been conditioned to believe is "inferior". To most people, they generally want everything they like to be longer, to have more of it, even at the expense of pacing and the risk of excess.

But Thor's preferences seem utterly alien to their "more is always better" viewpoint, which provokes aggression from them because they now fear that their established preferences might now be threatened by an alternate preference, as if the powers that be will listen to Thor and misinterpret his lone voice as a bigger market, so they'll return to shorter releases to cater to a legion of Thors out there.

Of course, they don't really think that'll happen, but the irrational parts of their brains don't realise that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well may be as this exact debate has come around on the carosal here countless times and it's possible I am misremembering previous occurrences, but hasn't Thor long made a point of arguing for expanded releases to be stopped outright?

And by the way, I see his point. If you're listening to the ToD OST and appreciating it as a concept album experience, the composer must have been satisfied with it, so why would you want more? 

Sorry, but this is an idiotic argument. Because it is actually totally okay and perfectly legitimate to find an OST presentation inadequate or unsatisfactory, regardless of what they put out - especially knowing what one heard during the film. You seem to suggest though that we are all some kind of hive mentality of listeners who ought to all happily agree that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. The choices of composers and producers are beyond reproach! You and Thor would say amen to that but I would say meh to that.

49 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well may be as this exact debate has come around on the carosal here countless times and it's possible I am misremembering previous occurrences, but hasn't Thor long made a point of arguing for expanded releases to be stopped outright?

There would be benefits to that, but no, that's never really been an argument of mine. As if I had the clout to stop anything.

And as I keep saying, no-one is saying you do. But because you're a dissenter who defies the "common wisdom" of the C&C establishment, their irrational subconscious fear is that you do. Deep down they fear you wield influence.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Really? Sorry for remembering it wrong then. I could have sworn you had.

Well, I've sometimes said jokingly that if I were the dictator of the world, I would not only stop expanded releases, but also have a special task force that invaded your homes and took aways all the expanded releases you might have. :)