Spielberg Musical?

I don't know if anybody already said this, but Spielberg said in an interview that he wants to do a musical.

Guess who would do the music? :)

The Ghoest- Who is very very excited!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Williams still does the Hook musical.

Yes, I've often wondered about the several other songs Williams wrote for the eventually thrown out Hook musical.

Didn't Spielberg at one time say that he regretted that he didn't do 1941 as a musical? (or am I making that up....?)

I think I heard this too. Speaking of 1941, I recently got a job at a local library, and while it's quite boring shelving books for hours on end, I took the opportunity to take a "break" and skim through some Spielberg biographies. Actually I looked up John Williams in the indexes and read those pages :) . Anyway, I read that Spielberg was so upset about the negativity toward 1941, that he blamed friends and collaborators for its failure, saying something like, "John Williams overwrote the score for my over directed movie that had an overwritten script." :) How do you like that? Keep in mind this was when it first came out, but it still seems unreasonable. I guess it's okay now, though, since he's said that the March from 1941 is the best Williams march from any of his movies. Just thought it was interesting.

Ray Barnsbury

Ohh come on, if he insults himself as well, it's not that bad, besides if a movie is overwritten, it will need an overwritten score to fit it :mrgreen:

Morn - Who's looked through a similar book about Spielberg which seemed to be saying Goldsmith is better than Williams and more original :)

Don't believe all of those Spielberg biographies out there. There's a handful that are complete trash, poorly researched and some even outright gossipy lies.

The quote about "overwritten"--I think Spielberg meant it in a self-deprecating way, but sarastically too. I think he'd be the first to appreciate Williams :mrgreen:

At least he doesn't regularly butcher his scores!

Hey guys, I wasn't trying to be demeaning toward Spielberg or anything. I just though it was interesting, true or not. I agree that Spielberg is certainly to be commended for his respect of Williams' scores. Especially compared to some directors, who endlessly praise JW's music and then end up totally disrespecting it. Certain people should get a life . . . and a neck. :) Anyway, the music for 1941 is spectacular, so what any book says doesn't matter.

Ray Barnsbury

Hey...we do know one thing about the score to 1941...it wasn't overwritten too much for Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, and Elmer Bernstein when their Stripes came out two years after '41 with a march that sounded nearly identical to '41.