Legendary makeup artist Rick Baker is retiring from the film industry

mrbellamy

Well, this sucks.

I said the time is right, I am 64 years old, and the business is crazy right now. I like to do things right, and they wanted cheap and fast. That is not what I want to do, so I just decided it is basically time to get out. I would consider designing and consulting on something, but I don't think I will have a huge working studio anymore.

The building was great when I was doing 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas', or 'Planet of the Apes', but the industry has changed. Big make-up films don't seem to exist anymore, and I was hoping that something would come along. I did 'Men in Black 3', which was good for that, but the last film I did was 'Maleficent' and I could've done that in a garage basically.

I do all kind of crazy things. I paint, I sculpt, and I do digital models. This part of my life now I am basically retiring from the film industry and looking forward to just doing what I want to do.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/2015/05/27/42999/monster-maker-rick-baker-prepares-to-retire-film-b/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet another retiring (not passing away, as is the worse of the two) of the old guard. Paradigm shifts are all too common as of late in the film industry.