The River

nicholas

"The River" seems to be one of those scores hardly anyone ever talks about yet wasn't it nominated for an Oscar back in the eighties? I did hear a couple of excerpts from it a few years back and remember a rather disconcerting pop-drumbeat and yet it is sometimes described as being part of Williams's 'Americana' trilogy with "The Reivers" and "The Cowboys".

Does anyone rate it? Is it worth tracking down?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he tried to combine a somewhat traditional Americana sound with some more contemporary aspects like the drums because it was supposed to be a present-day story. For example, the best unreleased cue is a very 80ish drum-driven piece incorporating the main theme. I love that cue in the movie. It has the more traditional bluesy, country elements but then drums to help connect the montage and place the movie in the appropriate time. And he uses that main theme to convey the feeling of the family banding together. A year later, Goldsmith used a similar type of theme (melody built around resolving a suspended third) for the basketball team pulling together. Its a very effective musical technique in both cases IMO.

As far as the album goes, its worth the money to me but everyone's different.

- Adam

I kinda put it on when I'm in a certain mood......it's nowhere near my most-played JW CD's, but it certainly ain't the least either.....

"The River" seems to be one of those scores hardly anyone ever talks about yet wasn't it nominated for an Oscar back in the eighties? I did hear a couple of excerpts from it a few years back and remember a rather disconcerting pop-drumbeat and yet it is sometimes described as being part of Williams's 'Americana' trilogy with "The Reivers" and "The Cowboys".

Does anyone rate it? Is it worth tracking down?

how about missouri breaks? :sigh:

They probably call it Williams' "Americana" trilogy because all three of those films are directed by the same guy, Mark Rydell. Other then that, they really shouldn't be singled out and grouped differently then any other Williams-score dealing with America in some way, like BotFoJ, Patriot, JFK, etc.

Tim

I think the film version of ancestral Home is longer(?)

K.M.

You are correct, Mark. There are a good few bars of music not included on the album track.

I like this score very much, but the album sequencing is very eccentric. The first track is actually the end title music whereas the music that plays over the opening credits is a version of Rain Clouds Gather (track 6 on the album). It's not a problem if you have the album on CD, of course; just an observation FYI.