WORST concert version ever

tony69

Sorcerer's Stone. What was williams thinking? The same 3 notes Over and OVer and Over. I was hoping he would put in the snaking cello melody here or there but no. its only the Dum dum Da.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a performance but I have just received a MIDI file of it, I will upload it as soon as possible.

I agree with tony69 but I don't now if Williams has something to do with this adaptation.

As far as I know, he only writes music for the movies but the concert version are adapted by another person, aren't they ?

For example, who composed the very end of the concert version of Parade of the Slave Children, John Williams himself ?

John Williams does his own concert arrangements. Everything he conducts, or is published under his name, is his. There are other concert arrangements out there, but Williams doesn't conduct those, and they always list the arranger separately (Cacavas has done quite a few).

I think "Sorcerer's Stone" works well. It's a wonderful study in dark timbres, and is meant to be simply that, I think. And I sort of like that he insists on only the stone-motif, without involving the music for Voldemort.

usually its not even a concert version. usually its a cue fromt he movie added to another cue. for example, the schindlers list theme is actually the 2nd last cue on the movie, called placing the stones or soemthing like that. orthe jurassic park 'concert version' is actually the dinosaurs cue.

in the case of the live concert piece Bridge to the Past, for instance, how it uses a modified part of the track "Finale", do you reckon that was the original way Finale was composed, but shortened due to an altered cut of the film, or Williams expanded the idea in creating the concert piece?

Interesting,it's basically the part in CoS when Harry is sucked into the diary."Voldermort" is a different piece altogheter,it has the Stone motif AND Voldermort's theme.

your Midi was pretty good.Any chance you can make a new midi of "Celebration Fanfare" or some of those other unreleased ones?

K.M.

and lol,David Vincent.

It's actually how many Goldsmith concert versions came about. The TV and Movie medleys (at least in their original forms) weren't done by himself. And the STTMP suite, performed by himself for the first and only time in London in 2003, was assembled by John Mauceri for the Hollywood Bowl.