Williams' Concerto for Cello and Piano (1997)?

Pelzter

I searched wikipedia for Williams concert works, and it said something to the order of his Elegy for Cello and Orchestra was based on an earlier Concerto for Cello and Piano, both based on Tibet... Anybody know anything of concerto?

--Pelzter, whose favorite Williams' concert piece is the Elegy, thus welcoming any variation or earlier draft

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Williams would make an entire album of Elegy-like pieces, where he would take some of his less known, quiter film writing (ala the absolutly gorgeous Remembering Petticoat Lane from JP) and expand upon them. Free them from the prison of the film, if you will, make them stand on their own as independent pieces.

I wish Williams would make an entire album of Elegy-like pieces, where he would take some of his less known, quiter film writing (ala the absolutly gorgeous Remembering Petticoat Lane from JP) and expand upon them. Free them from the prison of the film, if you will, make them stand on their own as independent pieces.

Wow, petticoat lane just played on my iPod as soon as i started to read this post!

Also, about the film prison thing, are you saying you want him to do something like on the original 1982 E.T. album? (i.e E.T and Me, Flying, and Over the Moon.)

No I'm not talking about concert themes, I'm talking more of concert PIECES, ala the Elegy, which is such a beautiful piece, and sounds so liberated. It flows like it wants, takes its time (with its double endings, for instance - it need not end, but can continue if it wants to, and so it does). Over the Moon and the likes are still movie themes, per se. The Elegy is a concert elegy. And I would like that very much with other pieces.

I've tried to make my own elegy of Memoirs of a Geisha, made up of three pieces: First, the "Live" version of A Dream Discarted, sequeing into the Live Sayuri's Theme, and ending quietly with the album version of Dream - in short, a more classical structure.