December 2006 Scores

tpigeon

As many already know, many of Hollywood's premiere composers have worked on films coming out this December. Yesterday, I listened to Film Score Monthly's podcast highlighting a few of these efforts from the likes of Alexander Desplat, Danny Elfman, Patrick Doyle, Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, and Thomas Newman. They sampled music from all of their new scores, and a few of them sound very interesting. This month's selection of scores may actually save what has been less than mediocre year for film scores, save for a few great works like Lady in the Water.

Having listened to these samples, the score with the most potential is James Newton Howard's Blood Diamond, which appears to have a pretty good sampling of light, atmospheric music, hugely scored action sequences, and some beautiful ethnic moments. There is one particular cue that sent chills down my spine and I haven't been able to stop listening to it; it's a building choral piece with the Howard synth sound with a soloist sounding like Lebo M providing a counterpoint. It's just gorgeous; I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the score.

Doyle's Eragon sounds a lot like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, only more epic, and its main theme sounds like a lift from The Little Mermaid. Charlotte's Web sounds a lot like Corpse Bride, which is a great score - one of last year's best - but I was hoping for a different whimsical sound from Elfman. Thomas Newman's The Good German sounds very good and old-fashioned in the tradition a Waxman or Steiner. I'm really looking forward to hearing this one as well. Silvestri's Night at the Museum sounds like a typical Silvestri/Debney colorful, explosive orchestral work. It sounds decent enough, but nothing all that new.

Overall, I am looking forward to hearing most of these scores with their films, while a chosen few I may be buying regardless.

Ted

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one that I'm really curious about is The Good German. Newman doing Newman. ;) Well, sort of. But it sounds interesting. Maybe for once we will get a score from Newman that doesn't feel choppy and disjointed. The film looks like good fun too.

I will also probably check out Eragon. While it doesn't really sound that special from the preview, HP 4 was nice and Doyle isn't doing the next one so I'll probably get this.

But somehow I have a feeling that neither of these will make year 2006 any better.

Karol

The only one that I'm really curious about is The Good German. Newman doing Newman. ;) Well, sort of. But it sounds interesting. Maybe for once we will get a score from Newman that doesn't feel choppy and disjointed. The film looks like good fun too.

The film looks outstanding, I think. I love what Soderbergh has been doing the past ten years.

But somehow I have a feeling that neither of these will make year 2006 any better.

Karol

I have hope for Blood Diamond. I am now noticing that JNH is swiftly moving to JW status in how I greatly anticipate almost every score of his.

Ted

If I like what I hear of Eragon in the film I'll check out the CD. Both the movie and the score fall into the "it might be really good, or it might really suck" category. I'm no fan of Doyle's GoF, but I'm willing to give him another chance outside of Potter.

If I like what I hear of Eragon in the film I'll check out the CD. Both the movie and the score fall into the "it might be really good, or it might really suck" category. I'm no fan of Doyle's GoF, but I'm willing to give him another chance outside of Potter.

I wouldn't let one disappointing score put you off, when he has these to his name:

Henry V

Dead Again

Much Ado About Nothing

Needful Things

Carlito's Way

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

A Little Princess

Sense and Sensibility

Hamlet

Great Expectations

Wah-Wah

All great scores.

Pretty much all of those sound good, but none of them intrigue me enough to make me reach for my wallet. Blood Diamond interests me a bit, although it's not the type of JNH music that I usually listen to.