Christmas Album

Hi,

I know christmas is a long way away, but i have seen John Wiliams We Wish you a merry christmas album by the Boston Pops and i was wondering if anyone has purchased this before. Is it worth getting? Also, has he done any other christmas albums apart from the Home alone series.

regards

Rob

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides Home Alone he also recorded Joy To The World (Sony Classical) with Boston Pops which as album is the one I have and this compilation album can still be obtained. I've heard of We Wish You... album, but never listened to it. But Joy To The World is all-out cool. It has White Christmas (my big fav.), three tracks from Home Alone (all this time by Boston Pops!), Sleigh Ride and others. Shame this one doesn't include "Little Drummer Boy" which, along with White Christmas, is my ultimate Christmas anthem.

YoL.-)

Johnny Williams also arranged and recorded an album of Christmas charols with Mahalia Jackson, called "Songs for Christmas: Silent Night" (Columbia CK 38304). I think this is still available in cd format.

"We Wish You a Merry Christmas" was recorded in 1980, and release in the following Christmas, and at the time was a change in the Pops Christmas reportoire, including a charol by Charles Ives, and a medley by Alfred Burt. Sadly I think that this is currently hard to find.

Some of the Philips' (label) titles came under Universal Music wings so Wish You A Merry Christmas compilation might be tracked down in their catalogues. Like with American Classics album with America, The Dream Goes On track by Williams on it, it is suddenly available all over Europe for a bob.

Nevertheless, Williams On Williams and The Green Album still remain among unreachable titles for me (both of the tow by Sony Classical which I thought a sure-footed source).

Y:nod:L

Some of the Philips' (label) titles came under Universal Music wings so Wish You A Merry Christmas compilation might be tracked down in their catalogues. Like with American Classics album with America, The Dream Goes On track by Williams on it, it is suddenly available all over Europe for a bob.

Nevertheless, Williams On Williams and The Green Album still remain among unreachable titles for me (both of the tow by Sony Classical which I thought a sure-footed source).

"American Classics" is a compilation taken from various albuns. The Williams piece was origibally released on the 1984 album "America The Dream Goes On". I can find "Williams on Williams" and "The Green Album" easely around here...

Actually its quite easy to find in the States.

It has some different music than Joy to the World and some that is the same, and some that is the same music, but with chorus. They make a wonderful 2 volume set. I recommend you get both.

There are many times where my 5 disc changer has those two plus the two HA soundtracks plus Charlie Brown's Chirstmas all at the same time.

I got Williams on Williams at CDNOW, if that helps.

Ray Barnsbury

Hi Ray, thanks. I know I could get the CD there, but the overseas shipment nearly doubles the price of the CD, which I don't particularly mind but I'm terribly low on means. And it's Christmas time, well nigh, and I have to heap up some leftover money for pajamas and crosswords and stuff as such to put under my parents' Christmas tree. Furthermore I'm afraid I would have to open an foreign currency account with a bank here in Czech republic to enable paying for CDs from cdnow, which --again-- costs money and so on. Take it from me, I WILL buy the compilation as soon as I can as long as the chance to get it lasts. I've heard especially the Hook cues on Williams On Williams are nonpareil!

I always found Star of Bethlehem kind of dark and mysterious, but the version of this one on "Joy to the World" is so beautiful. I loved it.

Also gotta love "The Twelve Days of Christmas" on WWAMC, by the way, does anyone have the lyrics to it?