My favorite parts of the star wars scores

pi

I love those 5 second or so transitions/wipes/decays/desolves where the score comes out of the background and takes over and jw does some really cool statements. Anyone else know what parts I mean? There are lots especially the externals of Curuscant. I would kill to look at those scores.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one moment in AOTC where the freighter Anakin and Padme are on does a flyby on the way to Naboo and Williams gives us a short little dramatic snippet that I would love to have.

I love the little bit of space battle music from ROTJ just prior to "The Final Duel". I was so disappointed way back in 1993 that it wasn't included on the Anthology set. When I got the ROTJ Special Edition release in 97 it was the first thing I went listened to.

The songs in Return of the Jedi excepted, I find it hard to not love pretty much everything Williams ever wrote for the Star Wars movies. The transitions do tend to be particularly good. Not many movies use score in that way. I'm guessing that that's an aspect of the films that George Lucas (who presumably at least helped spot the scoring) ought to get some credit for.

George Lucas also deserves credit for the horrible wall-to-wall spotting of every film except the original. Useless music was wisely excised from Empire and Jedi, but in the prequels the wall of sound never stops advancing. Although it worked for Menace.

Ironically, one of my favorite musical moments is a deleted cue: the end of "Departure of Boba Fett," which stuffs the Imperial March, the Force theme and Yoda's theme into a thrilling package.

I've never felt like the Star Wars movies had too much music in them. It's poorly edited in the prequels, but I don't recall one single instance in which I thought the movie would've been better served with no music playing at all. But I don't have an eidetic memory, either; so maybe I'm just forgetting the crap moments.

but I don't recall one single instance in which I thought the movie would've been better served with no music playing at all.

I do. I think after TPMs opening crawl, there should have been no music until the force theme when Qui-gon slices through the blast door.