Concerto for Horn and Orchestra

Joe Brausam

So, as I mentioned a (long) while back, I'm going to be performing Williams' Concerto for Horn and Orchestra for my senior recital. The actual performance will be in spring 2010, a little under two years from now, but becuase I won't be in lessons for the fall 2009 becuase of student teaching, my horn teacher wants to start intensive study of the piece this coming semester.

The biggest snag here is the lack of an official recording. I have the Bilbao recording, and only one movement from the Cleavenger recording. I was wondering if there are any other recordings available?

Also, I know that the original program notes are available on this site, but I was wondering if Williams made any other statements on the work? This will be helpful for constructing my own program notes for the recital, and hopefully will help with interpretation. So any help with this would be great, thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can speak on his behalf.

There are 3 unofficial recordings of this concerto. Clevenger/CSO, Bilbao and Montreal. The latter doesn't have a good sound, but it can be worth for comparing and archival purposes. The best recording so far is the Bilbao one (made by me). I'm going to get a 4th recording quite soon, Slatkin's in this case. I'll let you know when that happens.

As for the program notes, those are the only statements made by Williams. Although in the horn/piano reduction of the score you can find additional notes by Williams, as always in his Signature Editions.

It's great you chose this work for your recital. Good luck!!!

Yes, great project for sure! Please keep us informed on how everything evolves.

I myself have two of those live recordings if I'm not mistaken, though I have no idea what orchestras they are. (Let me know if I can help you.)

I'm going to get a 4th recording quite soon, Slatkin's in this case. I'll let you know when that happens.

Please let us all know! :) Will it be recorded from the radio or so, or from someone in the audience?

I've got my contacts :) That's all I can say for the moment being. Don't worry, you'll all get it when the time comes.

I also have a vague suspicion that this piece has been already recorded by the BSO and JW.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I'll be sure to keep you all up to date as it progresses. I heard from Miguel via pm, so a thank you to him as well!

I do plan on getting in touch with Clevenger sometime in the next few months to get whatever insight/advice I can from him, and if there's anything interesting enough I'll be sure to post it here.

It's pretty difficult to put this together as authentically as possible with so little material to reference but I'm sure it's going to turn out well. It's not like performing a Mozart horn concerto that everyone is familiar with, if you know what I mean. There will be a recording of my performance that, assuming we're all here in a year and a half, I'll be sure to share with anyone that's interested.

Scizzorhands, I may be interested in hearing the Montreal recording and definately the Slatkin recording when that's available. When is that performance, by the way, November I think? And nice job with the Bilbao recording, it's not bad!

I think I can speak on his behalf.

There are 3 unofficial recordings of this concerto. Clevenger/CSO, Bilbao and Montreal. The latter doesn't have a good sound, but it can be worth for comparing and archival purposes. The best recording so far is the Bilbao one (made by me). I'm going to get a 4th recording quite soon, Slatkin's in this case. I'll let you know when that happens.

(...)

Great work, Peio. :) I have this one and it's terrific (the piece and the recording).

It'll be performed in Houston in Spring '09 by the awesome William VerMeulen. You should think about a trip down if you're able, same concert they're doing Celebration Fanfare! I don't know where I'll be so don't know if I'll be there. Someone should record that though.