Cinncinati Pops' Batman Suite

With all the Dark Knight talk recently, I pulled out my old Batman score by Danny Elfman for a listen. I also have a recording of the Cincinnati Pops playing it on their Fantastic Journey album, they called it The Batman Suite. I hate to say it, but the Pops does it better. Its a ton more musical, which in a way is a credit to Elfman's composing that they found more layers to it than just the superficial ones the session orchestra used.

If you don't have Fantastic Journey, I recommend you get it. There are some great tracks on it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely agree!

You see that's what I mean with Kunzel. The guy never fails to amaze me.

The Suite on the Fantastic Journey album is FANTASTIC. I've practically played it to death.

I loved how they did the Poltergeist track too with the children's choir. It's so sweet and gentle...so opposite the movie from which it came!

Are you guys sure you have the right albums?

Kunzel's version is too fast,especially the main titles, and lacks the power and scope of Elfman's original.

It's only slightly faster. Give me that any day over way too slow. Yes, I'm talking to you City of Prague.

I do listen to Kunzel's version more, which suggests I do prefer the performance over Elfman's original which is still great.

You never know, I could change my mind if Elfman's score ever gets a crystal clear remastering. The sound quality of the Kunzel album is superior.

Are you guys sure you have the right albums?

Kunzel's version is too fast,especially the main titles, and lacks the power and scope of Elfman's original.

Well, Kunzel could take liberties with the tempo where Walker (the conductor of the Batman score) couldn't because of the constraints of the timing involved in merging the score to the film...which we all know about so I'll stop now. Honestly, though, I don't find it to be any faster. One thing I do notice is that the Kunzel version is much more accurate, feels less frantic, and I think is balanced and mixed better than the original score recording. The original recording sounds like they were hanging on for dear life.

Either way, I'll take Kunzels over the original in musicality

that suite is basically all you need from that score

No. If that's the suite "Main Title/Up the Cathedral/Descent Into Mystery," then you're still pretty much missing...the rest of the score.

No. If that's the suite "Main Title/Up the Cathedral/Descent Into Mystery," then you're still pretty much missing...the rest of the score.

I think Kunzel's 15 minute suite is plenty (and superior) to the OST. I also think it's more than 3 cues?

That's what's on the Music For A Darkened Theatre Vol 1 suite. The Kunzel recording contains "Batman Theme / Bat Cave, The / Batman To The Rescue / Joker's Poem, The / Batsuit - Charge Of The Batmobile / Waltz To The Death / Finale"

-Erik-