"Air and Simple Gifts" in Pittsburgh

MovieMusicMaestro

PSO, pianist to perform Williams' inaugural piece

The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra will play the first performance of composer John Williams' Air and Simple Gifts following its premiere at today's presidential inauguration. The piece will be played just before President-elect Barack Obama takes his oath.

Venezuelan pianist Gabriela Montero, who performs it today with violinist Itzhak Perlman, cellist Yo Yo Ma and clarinetist Anthony McGill, will perform it this weekend (Friday and Sunday) in Heinz Hall with PSO members. She will also solo in Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

www.pittsburghsymphony.org

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, Bowie. But it's not mentioned at the PSO's website, it might be too new.

Montero, coming to Pittsburgh to solo in George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" at Heinz Hall, will play the new music at Heinz Hall with symphony first-desk players Andres Cardenes, David Premo and Michael Rusinek.

The rest of the symphony program is unchanged, with Cardenes conducting Samuel Barber's Symphony No. 1, the Gershwin and Felix Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 5.

The concerts start at 8 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday at Heinz Hall, Downtown. Admission is $17.50 to $79.

Details: 412-392-4900.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...e/s_607880.html

Sadly, I've no intention to drive two hours to watch either show with a recorder and get this for y'all. Sorry.

The piece has already popped up, at http://media2.foxnews.com/012009/williams_obama_W700.wmv.

The Pittsburgh performance, well, that remains to be seen.

Yeah, sorry, I just meant the piece in general, not specifically the Pittsburgh performance.

Am I wrong, or was this piece just refried Aaron Copland?

The piece has already popped up, at http://media2.foxnews.com/012009/williams_obama_W700.wmv.

The Pittsburgh performance, well, that remains to be seen.

Yeah, sorry, I just meant the piece in general, not specifically the Pittsburgh performance.

Am I wrong, or was this piece just refried Aaron Copland?

Many would agree with you. Even Williams, in his interview with Burlingame, makes no secret of his intention to let Copland have his belated moment in the inaugural limelight.

That's what an arrangement is! It's a refried rendition of somebody else's theme. If the original theme is totally unrecognizable, it is either a very bad arrangement, or an original composition stuck in the wrong category.

All that is fine, but there was no mention of Aaron Copland when the piece was introduced at the inauguration, and there really should have been. How many millions of people heard it called "an original composition by John Williams" (not the exact wording, but close, I think)? Nothing wrong with using Copland, but the guy should have been credited, in my opinion.

All that is fine, but there was no mention of Aaron Copland when the piece was introduced at the inauguration, and there really should have been. How many millions of people heard it called "an original composition by John Williams" (not the exact wording, but close, I think)? Nothing wrong with using Copland, but the guy should have been credited, in my opinion.

Well, it's debatable how much Copland is actually in the piece. One could (perhaps) make the case that Williams's "exuberant rendering" of the Shaker melody does not depart tremendously from Copland's treatment in his Appalachian Spring, but I don't believe that is an argument for obligating Williams to credit Copland. Ought Williams have credited Copland for The Cowboys? For The Unfinished Journey? For The Patriot?

The lady who introduced it said the piece was "a composition arranged for this occasion by John Williams." I just checked the YouTube feed because the FOX News clip is no longer linked at our front page, and that is the word for word description, which is 100% accurate. She does not say "original composition" so there was no misdirection.

These people were on a budget for time. As it stood, they were already running behind. Mentioning Copland was superfluous. If they credited Copland, you'd complain that they didn't credit Elder Joseph Brackett for writing the original Shaker song. It was an inauguration, not a concert and not a history lesson. Sure, it would only have taken five extra seconds to say, but five seconds here and five seconds there, and now you're way over time.