Please post your COS movie reviews here!

Gamecube

Right now there are a few scattered topics around with a few reviews, but I thought it would be nice if people could post some here. I would appreciate it if we could mostly focus on the movie and not too much the score. I saw it two days ago and really enjoyed it. It was really better than I thought it would be, and better than The Sorcerors Stone too.

The things I think could be improved the most are the time the characters are on the screen. I would have liked to see more of the anoying part of Lockhart, like when he thinks harry crashed the car to become more famous, and the fact thet he thinks he is more famous than him. I liked the part where Ron hit's him with a rock. My biggest complaint was at the very end. It focusses more on "Hagrid was released" than "Harry saved the day" I just don't think it's a good ending. It would have been better if it ended with Hermione coming back.

Post your reviews!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys. it's Ted. i've been posting a lot less lately due to an excessive amount of work. i browsed the Board just now and saw this thread so here is my film review of the movie. it is the unedited rough version, so it's not perfect. but nevertheless, here it is. hope you all like it! :)

---------------------

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - **** (out of four)

November 15th, 2002

Starring Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Kenneth Branagh, Robbie Coltraine, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Richard Harris, Jason Isaacs and John Cleese

Cinematography by Roger Pratt

Music by John Williams

Screenplay by Steve Kloves

Based on the novel by J.K. Rowling

Directed by Chris Columbus

Running Time: 160 minutes

Rated PG ? Warner Bros. Pictures

By Ted Pigeon

One year ago, I was first introduced to the world of ?Harry Potter? when I saw the film, ?Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone.? I was completely blown away by the film?s brilliant sense of imagination. Like so many other great films of its kind, it told a marvelously rendered story while at the same time building an entire world full of detail. The world of Harry Potter has been established so well with the first film and now comes ?Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,? a much darker tale that widens the palette of the folklore that J.K. Rowling has envisioned. It is an ideal sequel, one that expands upon the story and characters yet doesn?t retread on old material.

The opening of the film re-introduces us to Privet Drive, where young Harry, played by the maturing Daniel Radcliffe, resides with is rather unloving Aunt and Uncle. Before heading back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, an Elf named Dobby oddly appears in Harry?s room and warns him that his life would be in danger if he returns to Hogwarts. Dobby makes repeated attempts to stop Harry from leaving as do Harry?s Aunt and Uncle. Eventually Harry returns to what he calls his home and reunites with his friends Ron and Hermione to start their second year together. But soon a dark cloud will loom over Hogwarts when something starts turning students to stone and leaving messages written in blood on the walls of the School. Legend has it that the Chamber of Secrets has been opened, and the mystery settles in when everyone becomes a suspect, including Harry, for the only one that can open the Chamber is the Heir to Slytherin.

These strange happenings garner a different atmosphere at Hogwarts, a more unsettling one amongst students. No one feels safe due to the alarming events. And as the story progresses, there are a great deal of revelations, which I will not spoil for you. I will say that the story is excellently paced and the buildup is progressively heightened all the way through. While the plot is unveiling itself, it?s great to see all the familiar characters once again involved, since there are many supporting characters that give the story life. Besides the computer generated Dobby, there are a few new additions to the cast. There is the self-praising Defense against the Dark Arts teacher by the name of Gilderoy Lockart, who is played to perfection by Shakespearean actor Kenneth Branagh. The other notable addition is Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy, the cold-hearted father of Harry?s rival, Draco. The late Richard Harris is warm as Dumbledore, like last film, and Alan Rickman is once again perfect as the bizarre Professor Snape.

It should be noted that this film easily outdoes ?The Sorcerer?s Stone? regarding action. One must wonder how this film was able to land a PG rating, since much of the action is very intense and at times quite terrifying. There is a breathtaking scene involving hundreds of giant spiders in the Dark Forest, and the Quidditch Match this time around is faster and more physical. Director Chris Columbus obviously wanted this film to be more exciting than the first, and he spared no expense in providing dazzling action. The film?s climax, which is more exhilarating than I could have imagined, is proof of this.

One of the great aspects of this film as well as its predecessor is the atmosphere. Roger Pratt?s photography gives the film a darker, grittier feel and John Williams provides another fine musical score, which is toned down from last time but still very effective. The improved visual effects and creative set design also help to fashion this world that Chris Columbus is bringing to life. None of these aspects call attention to themselves, but instead they function to enhance the story. You can look at every shot in this movie and find something interesting going on in all corners of the screen, the epitome of richness.

?Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? is a wonderful dark fable drenched in atmosphere and loaded with adventure. It?s pure storytelling, vivid and full of imagination. And equally important, this movie is a sheer delight to watch. It is much more than just a ?kids? movie. It is a huge mythological world shaped by colorful characters, creative environments, and magnificent storytelling.

**Review contains some spoliers **

I have been looking forward to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ever since seeing the first movie last year. It wasn't until a couple months before its release, however, that my anticipation really started to build. I love the books so much, and I expected this film to be even better than the last. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when the day finally arrived.

First off, let me say that seeing it more than once greatly helped me appreciate and enjoy it. The first time, while I still liked it a lot, I think I was subconsciously comparing it to the book and focusing more its "flaws." However, as I sat through my second viewing, I became more relaxed. The anitcipation of waiting to see it was gone after my first viewing, so I was able to really enjoy it for what it was: a wonderful movie that stands as well on its own as it does as an adaptation of the book.

The beginning was really nice, with a shot through the clouds that went down to show the very normal and orderly suburbia that is the Dursleys' life. Right off, Daniel Radcliffe seemed to be more confident with his role. His acting had improved, and he performed especially admirably considering that his first big scene was with a non-existant actor. Dobby the House Elf looked great, the effects were very good. His character had just as much, if not more, depth in the film as in the book. Definitely not a "Jar Jar."

The events at the Dursley's played out perfectly, considering the little amount of time that can be afforded to them in the movie, and the escape with the Weasleys was a lot of fun. The Ford Anglia looked wonderful, and the flying scenes were breathtaking. The Weasleys' home was enchanting just as in the books.

Now to the really good stuff: It was a joy to see so much more of Mrs. Weasley this time around. The actress really captures the role. The same can be said for Mr. Weasley, and the two, along with the rest of the family, have great, comic chemistry.

The Floo Powder was really cool, the flames in the fireplace were a nice touch, and Knockturn Alley was as creepy as can be. Kenneth Branaugh was the perfect Gilderoy Lockhart, truly hilarious in his oblivious arrogance and charm. One of the highlights of the film was Lucius Malfoy's introduction. Jason Isaacs plays this role with delicious malevolence. He radiates evil, and was a delight to watch.

The second Flying Car scene was fantastic. The liberties Chris Columbus took were totally appropriate, and really added excitement. As Harry got back to Hogwarts, it was a joy to see the secondary characters reprising their roles. Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, and the rest were at the top of their game. Particularly moving to watch was the late Richard Harris as Professor Albus Dumbledore. I couldn't comprehend that he was really no longer with us, there was so much life in his performance. A note worthy addition to the cast was Professor Sprout. She was very funny, and perfect for the role. Colin Creevey was a cute little kid, and his camera provided some nice humor throughout. Finally, Moaning Myrtle was a hoot. Her voice was wondferully distorted, and although the actress didn't quite capture the gloomy depressed state that Myrtle should always occupy, she did an admirable job.

As the mystery surrounding the Chamber of Secrets unfolded, the pace began to seem a little slow. This was mostly owing to the sometimes almost painfully slow dialogue of the younger actors. However, it's a minor qualm, and the story for the most part is thoroughly interesting. Fawkes the Phoenix was marvelous, and accompanied with John Williams' stirring theme, a wonderful aspect of the film. The Spiders and Harry and Ron's encounter with them was thrilling; again the effects were very good. The Quidditch match should have started at the beginning, but it was still a major improvement over the already excellent one in the first film. It actually reminded me of Star Wars trench run on the Death Star!

The climax was astounding, both visually and emotionally. The actor who played Tom Riddle was perfect as the smug and evil youth version of Voldemort. The basilisk was better than I could have ever imagined. It looked totally real, and extremely creepy. I would think that small children must have been pretty frightened. This scene was so much bigger and better than the climax of the first movie. There was a hundred times more action and suspense, and it was more true to the book than the one in the first film. Fawkes was wonderful, and again, along with John Williams glorious music, provided a very touching and reverent moment.

The scene with Lucius Malfoy and Dumbledore at the end was slightly slow. I felt that there should have been some music, even if just some dark, ominous chords in the background to fill the gaps in dialogue. Dobby's liberation was very happy, and I was surprised to hear Lucius Malfoy utter "Avada . . ." as he was about to attack Harry. This hint to the Unforgivable Curses was a sly nod to the Potter fans already familiar with all the stories published so far.

The finale was, again, a little too drawn-out, but nonetheless quite happy and touching, and a nice wrap-up. I LOVED Hermione and Ron's awkward attempted hug and eventual handshake! This was another hint at things to come in the fourth book.

Overall, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was an enchanting and thoroughly enjoyable movie. It was funnier, scarier, and more frightening than the first, and the characters were all more comfortable in their roles, which allowed for more chemistry and develpoment. I saw it three times opening weekend (no, that wasn't planned!), and I look forward to seeing it again and again. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

Malfoy really said "Aveda"?? Wow, I didn't hear that. :wow:

I saw it for the second time yesterday, and I'm afraid my opinion hasn't changed: It's a nice movie, but not as good as the first one. I agree with most of what Ray said, Dobby is perfect, Branagh is superb, Lucious Malfoy and Tom Riddle are very good, the Basilisk is great, the three main kids are great.

Still, what the movie lacks is a theme. Book #1 was about Harry finding out who he really is, learning about this whole new world and finding out something about his parents. And so was the movie, and I think that's exactly what made it work. The second book's theme is mostly Harry being suddenly confronted with everyone suspecting him, and even him losing faith in himself as well. But in the movie, there's just a couple of minutes about that. So in the end, it just isn't that much more than a (sometimes rather loose) collection of scenes (some explanations were cut, like who searched Harry's stuff). It's a nice summary of the book, with many great bits, but it just ends up being less than the sum of its parts. And it seems they even were afraid of frightening the children too much - the spiders are very well done, but I didn't find them creepy at all, probably because of Ron's constant funny remakrs. Laughter is the best thing against fear after all. I think that sequence would have been much more thrilling if they hadn't Ron funnier there. Children read the book, they certainly would survive the movie even if it was equally intense.

So while I enjoyed it and will certainly get the DVD as soon as it's out, I still believe it could have been done a lot better - as opposed to the first movie, which I believe was as good as it could possibly have been at its length. I think it's a good thing part three will have a new director.

Great reviews guys! Marian, I know what you mean about the movie lacking a theme. That's a really good way to put it, and that's probably why it seemed kind of slow to me at times. Also really nice review Ted and Gamecube!

Ray Barnsbury

Good reviews, guys. Well done. :)

I tried to do this one spoiler-free, but a couple of nitpicks required specifics, so beware.

I saw the movie on Saturday. After waiting the year out, having to spend the last hour of it in a noisy theater--the line formed two hours before gametime--was probably the worst of it (followed by another twenty minutes of worthless advertisements and previews; after that, even the Dursleys were a welcome sight). When the lights dimmed the rest of the way, I was good and ready. Is there any thrill quite like that of the first few seconds of a long-awaited film--the first touches of music, that initial fading into an alternate reality, the glorious passport of the title graphic inviting us toward adventure...?

The four books and the first film had already solidified my predisposition toward the series, so the new movie had an easy sell. In lawyer speak, the case was won; the challenge now was not to lose it. No need to worry. While the first movie well established the setting and millieu of both magical and non-magical London, and drew a picture-perfect Hogwarts to bring the spirit of the books to life, Chris Columbus knew what to do with the sequel. He understood that the better part of the cache of wonder and novelty was spent the first time around, and that this installment would be most effective by combining established character traits and new plot twists to expand the visual canon of Rowling's world. This he accomplished--and better--without greatly altering the style or unique flavor of his initial effort. The result is as it should be: an experience superior to the first, but only by building on the success of its predecessor.

Daniel Radcliffe settles nicely into the role he's made his own. The trademark of his performance in the first film was his constant eye-popping looks of surprise, his awestruck expressions of wonder, and his gleeful grins as he beheld sights he never thought possible. All this was the staple element of his character during that age of his life: it was his reaction to the new world opening up that defined him, up to and including the climax. This time around he's done with that; from the start of the film, he takes action for himself, showing a confidence--almost an authority--that stands him in good stead. Instead of shrinking from the Dursleys, he simply tolerates them, and though he loses control of his first encounter with Dobby, he's certainly more than a passive observer in their conversation. (He's also gained a good half-foot, and his voice is decent pitch closer to James Earl Jones.)

Harry's friends are warming to their respective roles as well. Hermione's not quite the priss she was in Sorcerer's Stone, and Ron Weasley serves as a great comic foible to Harry's more serious composure. That's one of the best parts of COS--the wonderful sense of humor, much of it based on our knowledge of these people, but a good part of it incipient to the new characters as well. The Weasley family is giddily precocious (especially Ron's father--recognize the stuttering narrator from Shakespeare in Love?), young Colin, Harry's biggest fan, is cheeky and excitable--with eyes so big I wondered if they might have been digitally enhanced--and at the center of all is the comic star of the film: Kenneth Branaugh as Gilderoy Lockhart, sporting a schlocky grin large enough to see the bits of chewed scenery stuck in his teeth. I thought the best of the newcomers, though, to be Lucius Malfoy, played with chilling maliciousness by Jason Isaacs, the most evil-looking actor I've seen since Ray Park flashed his red eyes and yellow teeth in TPM. I look forward to seeing what he does with the character in future installments. The least of the new cast was Moaning Myrtle, if only for the fact that she didn't moan at all; she grated. (A far more fitting name for the girl would have been "Whining Wilma.")

The rest of the veterans were as dependable and effective as ever--especially Richard Harris, who earned a tear at both his first and final appearances. In spite of his tragic frailty (Harry and Ron's were not the only voices that changed, and the most disheartening part of the movie to me was Dumbledore's deep and resonant voice undermined, even a little, by the ravages of Harris's illness), I cannot imagine anyone else playing this part.

The sets were sumptuous, and the effects were, of course, top notch. The Quidditch match was better than its predecessor (though the influence of many a Star Wars battle was indeed evident), and the creature effects were some of the best I've seen. Even Dobby showed improvements over the bipedal beings we've seen in other films, though they still haven't mastered human movement quite yet. Ironically, while the new-fangled effects keep getting better, the old-fashioned ones seem to be rusting a bit with neglect. The animatronic Fawkes, sitting on its perch in Dumbledore's office, was absolutely atrocious, jerking and popping every time it made a move in its painfully limited range.

The only other quibble I had with the movie was its all-too convenient escapes. Why, for instance, did the Weasley family truckster show up unbidden right in the nick of time--then drive off again without reason or command each time the boys were safe? Fawkes proved an opportune angel himself, showing up at just the right moment, doing just the right thing (twice!)--and then flying off again, instead of sticking around to watch the fun. His fortuitous appearance once was acceptable, but the second time spoke of a stagehand offscreen ("Harry's in trouble--cue the bird!"). It was a fairly blatant plot device, and Dumbledore's belated explanation of the bird's arrival was a little too fragile to hold up to scrutiny. I don't remember being as picky about it when I read the book, but those sorts of summary answers at the end of a story work better in a novel, I think, than on the screen, where an audience is watching a bit more closely and is far less likely to accept a throwaway answer to anything.

Aside from that, it was an extremely satisfying moviegoing experience--and above that, I have to disagree with those of you who claim it had no theme. On the contrary, though it could have benefitted from a bit more emphasis, the theme was the undercurrent of the story and the entire reason the mystery of the Chamber existed to begin with. Though obviously considered less than civil behavior--more like political incorrectness--by most magic folk, it's clear that the wizard world suffers from the same problem that seems to plague almost any group that brandishes exclusivity: the blight of bigotry. For them, it's those who are first-generation wizards who are regarded as being less than equal. These "Mudbloods" are no different then any other wizard; their navels bear the same star as the rest of the Sneetches, but if their parents' didn't, then they are by those rights considered deficient. Apparently, the attitude of nobility pervades even their world, and to some, blood is more important than character. Salazar Slytherin was one of the more zealous sectarians, and so apparently was Voldemort, in the person of Tom Riddle. By vesting the antagonists with this point of view, the movie is denouncing by proxy the base attitudes of the Universal Redneck, in whatever form he or she might appear. (Isn't it ironic, though, that even those who frown on such segregations have no trouble using a derogatory epithet--"Muggle"--for those they consider different, and therefore less meritorious, than themselves?)

So then, given a story with a little more weight than the first, more fun and inside humor, and a good deal more action, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets does manage to outdistance its prequel, but does so without taking anything away from it either. The first HP had its place and purpose, full of wonder and delight, standing as the first time around on this wonderful ride; but now it's time to get down to business, and COS was up to the task. Although I'll be interested to see what another director can bring to the table, I'll confess I'm sad to see Columbus moving on. He's done a fantastic job in making tangible one of the finest new worlds in recent fiction, and regardless of what comes after, the cornerstone of the filmed franchise will, in my mind, always bear his name with pride.

- Uni