John William's Heroes Concert, UK, 30th October

Maxxie

Hey peeps,

Anyone going to this? I'm going with Dad, but I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the proposed line-up ( :unsure: )......

http://www.cbso.co.uk/?page=concerts/viewConcert.html&cid=2028

What do the numbers/apostrophes mean after the track listings? (I.e. 5', 6', etc) :mellow:

I was rather hoping to hear Indy and Superman?! How can it be a "Heroes" concert without these two?! :blink:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The numbers and apostrophes are to indicate approximate lengths pof the pieces i.e. 6' = 6 minutes.

Didn't know about this concert - might have to look further into it smile.gif

Anyone going to this?

I bought my ticket a few months ago so hope to be there (there's already a thread or two about this concert, e.g. here).

The programme looks fantastic to me and, short of John Williams himself conducting, I can think of no other conductor I would rather see do this than John Wilson. Did you see this summer's televised BBC prom devoted to music from MGM musicals, where he reconstructed all the music (because MGM had thrown out all their scores to use as landfill for a golf course - I kid you not) and conducted his own hand-picked orchestra, including members of the LSO and other major UK orchestras? He is a great conductor of film music.

Watch here for a clip of him conducting the Barn Dance from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers from that concert.

:mellow:

So is that the final line-up then?

Do they sometimes do encores? I'm very naive about such matters having never been to a concert before! :mellow:

When I booked my ticket months ago, Raiders Of The Lost Ark & Superman were both listed. I won't be pleased if they've been suddenly erased from the programme. :unsure:

Do they sometimes do encores? I'm very naive about such matters having never been to a concert before! :mellow:

Almost every concert I have ever been to has had at least one encore, Maxxie, and I would almost put money on either Raiders of the Lost Ark or Superman appearing at some point in the evening. I think you're in for a real treat if you've never been to a concert before - Symphony Hall in Birmingham is an amazing concert venue and the CBSO is a world class orchestra. Until you have heard Korngold's The Sea Hawk live in concert, you really haven't lived!

Personally, I am particularly looking forward to hearing Al Newman's Airport. :unsure:

Thanks Omen, :unsure:

I'm really looking forward to hearing The Sea Hawk as it was one of my late Grandad's favourite scores. I'm sure he'll be sitting there with me on the night, if only in soul. :mellow:

The Sea Hawk must have one of the most powerful and heroic fanfares that I've ever heard! :blink:

UPDATE:- I've had a very nice email from the CBSO and they've confirmed the running order of the evening. I'm much happier now! Can't wait to hear "Adventures On Earth" from E.T! :mellow:

I'm also much looking forward to the encore..... :unsure::blink:;)

I'm not giong, buy I'd love to hear "Catch Me If You Can" live. Let us all know how it went, asap.

I've never even heard it before, but I'll let you know what I think. ;)

Looks like this is the same running order as the recent Dublin concert which was superb.

In addition to Williams' favourites, there was Waxman's Philadelphia Story, Herrmann's Taxi Driver and Rosza's Thief of Baghdad. Best of all though was the RTECO's rendition of Korngold's The Sea Hawk, flawless!

Omen II is right, John Wilson is very faithful to Williams and is pretty much the best there is other than the man himself (which is never going to happen again on our shores! :( )

Whomever goes will no doubt enjoy it!

I'm not giong, buy I'd love to hear "Catch Me If You Can" live. Let us all know how it went, asap.

In what was a great concert, this was undoubtedly one of the highlights for me. While it's always fun to hear the old favourites such as Star Wars and Raiders, it was a real thrill to see, as well as hear, one of Williams's lesser-known works being performed. The three soloists - alto saxophone, vibraphone and double bass - were positioned in front of the orchestra so there was no hiding place if they had messed up. It was the published suite, entitled Escapades, consisting of three movements (Closing In / Reflections / Joy Ride) that were essentially the Main Title, Recollections and The "Float" but with some additional sections for the soloists. It looked like all the musicians with a free hand were doing the finger clicks in the first movement. The full programme was:

Star Wars - Main Title

The Sea Hawk - Main Title / Reunion / Finale

Jaws - Theme

The Philadelphia Story - Main Title / Tracey in Love / End Title

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Raiders March

Taxi Driver - Main Title / Blues

E.T. - Adventures on Earth

INTERVAL

Airport - Main Title

Catch Me If You Can - Escapades

Ben-Hur - Parade of the Charioteers

Schindler's List - Theme

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Suite

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Harry's Wondrous World

ENCORE

Superman - March

So what did you think of your first film music concert, Maxxie? And did you get to meet Darth Vader during the interval?

;)

Absolutely AMAZING!!! I'm still on a high!!! ;)

Can't believe how fantastic it was! :D

E.T, Superman, Raiders, Harry Potter & (dare I say it?! :( ) Star Wars were marvellous!!! :D

I also greatly enjoyed Ben Hur and Airport, but Taxi Driver and Catch Me If You Can weren't for me (they were brilliantly played though.) ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention The Sea Hawk. WOW!!! :o:D

Forgot to mention The Sea Hawk. WOW!!! :o:D

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, I thought the performance of The Sea Hawk was astoundingly good. Because it was near the beginning of the concert, I was expecting the brass section to sound a little loose for not having warmed up yet, but not a bit of it - they were perfectly together and I didn't hear a note out of place. I also loved the way that John Wilson varied the dynamics of the orchestra throughout this and the other selections, as well as his little anecdotes before many of the pieces - from his confession to having had an E.T. bedside lamp when he was little to his description of being taken to tea by John Williams as "the most terrifying experience of my life." I reckon he's one of us! :lol::)

Forgot to mention The Sea Hawk. WOW!!! :o:)

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, I thought the performance of The Sea Hawk was astoundingly good. Because it was near the beginning of the concert, I was expecting the brass section to sound a little loose for not having warmed up yet, but not a bit of it - they were perfectly together and I didn't hear a note out of place. I also loved the way that John Wilson varied the dynamics of the orchestra throughout this and the other selections, as well as his little anecdotes before many of the pieces - from his confession to having had an E.T. bedside lamp when he was little to his description of being taken to tea by John Williams as "the most terrifying experience of my life." I reckon he's one of us! :P:)

Haha yes! He's definitley one of us. :P;)

I agree not a note out of place. The Star Wars opening was spectacular! I'm seeing the themes in a whole new light now. :P

I loved the way the suite from The Sea Hawk was arranged, it was marvellous. It brought a tear to Dad's eye! ;)

Who didn't have an E.T. bedside lamp when they were younger?! :mellow:

Here's hoping for another concert in the same style in the near future! :)